I hate to be known as Wasim Akram’s girlfriend: Humaima Malik

Published: August 27, 2011
Model-cum-actor Humaima Malik rose to fame with her role of a deglamourised daughter in Shoaib Mansoor’s Bol. PHOTO: PUBLICITY

MUMBAI:

Pakistani model-turned-actor Humaima Malik, who was seen in Shoaib Mansoor’s Bol, is not amused by being constantly linked with cricketer Wasim Akram.

“Wasim has children, I have a family. We’re both answerable to people in our lives. It becomes very embarrassing for me to be known as Wasim Akram’s girlfriend. I hate to be known by that identity. I’m a celebrity in my own right,” said Malik in an irritated manner. “Just because I’m a girl, do I need to be identified by the presence of a man in my life?”

During the Indian Premier League matches earlier this year, Malik says that she had to cancel her trip to India to support Shah Rukh Khan’s Kolkta Knight Riders (KKR) team because of the loud whispers regarding her and Akram.

“I was going to support KKR, not because Wasim was the team’s coach. Unfortunately, the Indian press went to town linking my visit to Wasim and I had to cancel my trip,” she said.

“In India being linked with a cricketer is seen as a big deal. Every journalist asks me about Wasim. As if that’s all there is to me,” said Malik. She adds that even the Pakistani media is equally inquisitive about her private life. “Even if we go out for just a cup of coffee, there are loud whispers,” she said.

She is not flattered by the link ups as “I was a super-model and the Pakistani brand ambassador for Sunsilk, an international brand of shampoo, before being selected by Shoaib Mansoor for my first film Bol, for which I had to go completely against my image. It was tough on me, but the results have been so rewarding. It’s been a truly life-changing experience,” she said.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 28th, 2011.

• Shahid
    Aug 27, 2011 - 10:49PM

Wasim bhai zindabad.

• saad
    Aug 27, 2011 - 11:23PM

Dont worry darling, Sushmita’s is Wasim bhai’s REAL girlfriend! :D

• Sad Panda
    Aug 27, 2011 - 11:47PM

Well Humaima and Wasim do make a great couple ;)

• Dee
    Aug 28, 2011 - 1:41AM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Super model? When did that happen?

• Aug 28, 2011 - 2:37AM

ohh i dun like her but i must say tht she has done a gr88 job in bol…. humaima totally made me cry wid her acting:p

• AliF
    Aug 28, 2011 - 5:18AM

If you constantly discuss your relationship with wasim akram in every interview then people will naturally ask you about it. Humaima is such a fake woman using a cricketers name to make it big in bollywood…she has no self-respect whatsoever.

• Noor Nabi
    Aug 28, 2011 - 6:32AM

Let us be respectful to Humaima Malik and not make cheap comments. Those who have no self-respect do not care to show respect to others.

• peter
    Aug 28, 2011 - 7:21AM

Wasim was a top cricketer. Don’t damage his reputation! This is self-promotion…

• Rahul Vasudevan
    Aug 28, 2011 - 10:44AM

No one India even knows who she is. Indian press went to town linking her with akram? this is the first time i am even hearing of her.

• Ahmed Siddiqui
    Aug 28, 2011 - 11:24AM

Lol… she thinks so big of herself !
    Wasim Akram is a super star!! She is not even piece of grain in front of the star that the great wasim akram is !

As for her role in BOL. Shoib Mansoor can make ANY girl act well. Just look at Shoaib Mansoor’s history of work.

• Ali
    Aug 28, 2011 - 11:45AM

“Wasim has children, I have a family. We’re both answerable to people in our lives. It becomes very embarrassing for me to be known as Wasim Akram’s girlfriend. … Just because I’m a girl, do I need to be identified by the presence of a man in my life?”

Spot on Humaima. The media will just turn anything into news. The Pakistani media should at least be more sensetive before putting a tag on people and potentially causing hurt and embarassment to the family members of these people.

• Jeans
    Aug 28, 2011 - 1:19PM

i think there is a nice chance to her to be as a popular as Shoaib and Sania were. So Humaima please cash yourself and get into Bollywood.Indians media loves to know about cricketers’ life/girlfriends/affairs/scandals and player like Wasim Akram OMG!!!! you will be on every channel headline so please start a fun again after Shoaib and Sania.

• Aug 28, 2011 - 2:14PM

Okay how many of you know that both Wasim Akram and Humaima Malik has the SAME “Media Manager” ? =P

Its all planned stuff for the publicity of Humaima in India.

• M
    Aug 28, 2011 - 4:49PM

Wasn’t she married to Shamoon Abbasi? What happened to that?

• Aug 28, 2011 - 9:11PM

I love Hummaima Malik…………………. Wasim Akram ap ke level ka banda nahi hai Hummaima jee

• ash 40
    Aug 28, 2011 - 10:31PM

Humaima actd wel no doubt,but wasim akram has a class .what happened to his choice?Recommend

• zeeshan
    Aug 29, 2011 - 1:01PM

humaima i know that you are very talented and gorgeous female star of pakistan.i am proud of you.And i am with you

• sara
    Aug 29, 2011 - 1:35PM

Humaima & Wasim Akram are two different class of celebrties..n even if they are hanging out together or its just for her fame support then wats new? this simple n old article wid different names in it just made all of us so attentive, as if ‘judgement day’ is near. c’mon there r plenty of ‘important’ things in our OWN lives to discuss and solve..

• areeba
    Sep 26, 2011 - 4:03PM

I dont know why Indians media is interfaring in our (pakistan’s) matter….
    I agreed with Humaima MAlik…..
    She is not dating with Wasim Akram

• Alex
    Oct 15, 2011 - 2:17AM

Well excuse me Humaima, you think you’re better than Wasim!!! I’m sure you have dated some looser like you are coming through with your comments. Don’t break a leg!

• areeba
    Oct 16, 2011 - 4:56PM

ALEX,
    humaima have cleared that she is not dating waseem akram as he is a father of three children and she has her own family…so you have have the right to say anyone a looser or etc.
    She is a well known actor of Pakistan and now all over the world….:)

More in Gossip