Bin Hammam appeals against ban

Former AFC president not expecting 'justice to prevail' from Fifa.


Reuters August 25, 2011

DOHA: Banned Asian football president Mohamed Bin Hammam launched an appeal against his lifetime ban by Fifa but said in a strongly-worded statement that he did not expect to clear his name yet despite the decision being 'hugely flawed'.

The 62-year-old Qatari was given a lifetime ban from the sport by the world governing body last month after being found guilty of bribing Caribbean officials during his bid to oust incumbent Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

In a statement on his personal blog, the former Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president said he had appealed after Fifa released the motivated decisions of the Ethics Committee, which banned him, last week.

"I've submitted my case to the Fifa Appeals Committee, not hoping for justice to prevail but as a protocol to enable me to obtain access to the Court of Arbitration of Sport," said the Qatari. "After all, the panel from the Appeals Committee is decided by my opponent and in this case, as previously, the judge is the rival. Therefore, I should not exaggerate hope for a fair decision.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 26th,  2011.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read