French businessman to sue France, Belgium over burqa ban

Nekkaz has set up a 1 million Euro fund to pay off fines for those booked under French and Belgian anti-burqa laws.


Reuters August 18, 2011

BRUSSELS: A French businessman paid fines Wednesday for two women in Belgium who wore full-face veils in public and said he would take Belgium and France to court over laws banning Muslim niqabs and burqas.

Property dealer Rachid Nekkaz has set up a 1 million euro ($1.4 million) fund to cover fines and paid the first 50-euro penalties imposed in Belgium on two women in Brussels.

"France and Belgium have decided to forbid the possibility and the liberty of women to wear what they want," he told reporters outside a municipal office in Brussels.

The two fined women, both wearing niqabs, were also present.

"I consider that ... it's not acceptable that European governments vote in laws that don't respect individual rights."

Belgium's law banning any covering of the face in public came into effect late last month.

France was the first country to introduce a ban in Europe in April.
Nekkaz said he planned a legal challenge in both countries.

"I will pursue the French and Belgian states in their national courts and then in the European Court of Human Rights so that they are sanctioned for violating individual liberties."

COMMENTS (4)

Thsicoe | 9 years ago | Reply

Funny - I thought the Koran commanded the faithful to observe the laws of host countries - it most certainly doesn't say anything about changing these man made, infidel laws. They must just endure them.

dr zakir hussain soomro | 9 years ago | Reply

violence in my city karachi goverment is responsible, because they are supposed to be chosen members of assembly.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read