TLP chief Saad Rizvi released from jail

Rizvi was welcomed by a large crowd after he reached mosque Rehmatul-il-Aalimeen following his release

Our Corresondent November 18, 2021
Saad Hussain Rizvi. PHOTO: FILE


Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) chief Hafiz Saad Hussain Rizvi was released from the Kot Lakhpat Jail on Thursday, following an agreement between the government and the party’s leadership.

Saad’s release came after his name was struck off the Fourth Schedule of the ATA, 1997 on November 10.

The Punjab Home Department had listed the name of Saad Rizvi being the head of TLP, a proscribed organisation, in the Fourth Schedule of Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 under section 11-E on the recommendations of the District Intelligence Committee, Lahore.

Earlier on November 7, the government had removed the name of TLP as a proscribed organisation from the First Schedule of the act.

The government detained Saad Rizvi under a detention order as they received information that Saad along with his party workers may try to create anarchy in the society by inciting the public against the government.

Upon his release, as soon as Saad reached the TLP headquarters – Rehmatullil Aalameen mosque, the party leaders and workers gave him a warm welcome by chanting slogans – Labbaik Labbaik Ya Rasool Allah (PBUH).

A worker, Hafiz Bilal, described the moment when Saad’s younger brother Anas Rizvi embraced him upon arrival as “memorable”.

Some workers believe that the release of their leader was a victory for the TLP as they were on the “righteous path”.

Read TLP pact to be made public soon: Rashid

After meeting his family members, Saad held a meeting with the TLP management where he was briefed on the arrangements taken for the first Urs of his father, Maulana Khadim Hussain Rizvi, scheduled to be held on November 20-21.

A single bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the concerned quarters to release Saad Rizvi.

However, the Punjab government challenged the order in the Supreme Court, Lahore Registry where a division bench, headed by Justice Ijazul Ahsan, sent the matter back to the LHC, restraining the concerned quarters from implementing the LHC single bench order to release Saad.

On November 4, the TLP counsel withdrew the case, agreeing with the LHC division bench that their case had become infructuous after the government’s notification, through which Saad was illegally detained, lapsed.

When the TLP workers came to know that the government was not ready to release Saad despite the court order, they took to the roads in protest for not releasing his despite making a commitment.

They blocked the roads due to which a scuffle erupted with the police in which both sides suffered casualties.

To stop violence, killings, and damage to pubic property, Rangers were called in. Meanwhile, the TLP workers vowed to march on Islamabad. As soon as they reached Wazirabad, the government started negotiations with the TLP leadership, including Saad.

As the table talk could failed to bear fruit, Prime Minister Imran Khan summoned Ulema of all sects at Bani Gala for taking their point of view on the prevailing situation. Negotiations between the government and the TLP finally succeeded on the intervention of the Ulema.

The TLP supporters called off their protest as their colleagues started getting bails. Meanwhile, the TLP’s name was removed from the list of banned organisations.

Finally, the name of Saad Rizvi was also removed from the Fourth Schedule.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read