Health DG defends Sindh Health Department

Refutes news reports on doctor's suicide


Our Correspondent April 25, 2021

KARACHI:

The health department has reacted to negative reports against it in the media over the alleged suicide of a 26-year-old doctor in Kashmore on April 14.

Refuting the reports through a press statement, DG Health Dr Irshad Ahmed Memon claimed that the facts were distorted and that a negative light had been shed on the department.

"The Government of Sindh Health Department has great regard for its thousands of doctors, nurses and staff," the statement read. "They have zealously been serving poor people day and night. During one year of [the] Covid-19 pandemic, their endeavours [played] a very crucial role," it continued.

The DG health's office said that the department had taken proper care of doctors and other staff. "Around 2,000 contractual personnel, comprising medics and nurses, have delivered their duties in a remarkable way. Their service contracts have been renewed and salaries paid in time and on [a]regular basis."

Memon said his department saluted the doctors for their services. "It will be incorrect to attribute the death of an innocent doctor to the sentiments of affection and care [that the] health department [has been] showing towards Covid-dedicated staff," he said

"The government has appointed an enquiry committee and found facts contrary to the reports," he said. However, the DG failed to outline the reasons for the doctor's death.

The Young Doctors Association (YDA), meanwhile, slammed the health department and called for justice for the doctor's family. The organisation demanded that the provincial government disclose the details of the inquiry.

"We demand compensation for the family and stern action against officials involved in the 'murder' of our colleague," said Sindh YDA Vice President Dr Waris Jakhrani. He added the state was responsible for the untimely death of the doctor. "This is the system that has killed our colleague," he alleged. "A fair inquiry could reveal the actual facts," he demanded.

Dr Waris said his colleague left behind three minor daughters, a widow and parents. "He was the only source of income for his family," he said. The YDA vice president urged the Sindh government to announce a 'shuhuda package' for his family.

The YDA has been protesting for the last week, wearing black ribbons across the province.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 25th, 2021.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read