WHO says Covid-19 origins study not extensive enough, cites data access 'difficulties'

Further data and studies will be needed to reach more robust conclusions, says WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom


Reuters March 30, 2021
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general. PHOTO: REUTERS

GENEVA:

 A World Health Organisation team probing the new coronavirus’s origins cited problems accessing raw data, the health agency’s chief said on Tuesday, calling for further studies because the assessment, so far, has not been extensive enough.

“In my discussions with the team, they expressed the difficulties they encountered in accessing raw data,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said after the report of a team that traveled to Wuhan, China, this year was released. “I expect future collaborative studies to include more timely and comprehensive data sharing.”

Although the team concluded a laboratory leak was the least likely hypothesis for the virus that causes Covid-19, the WHO said, the matter requires further investigation, potentially with additional missions.

“I do not believe that this assessment was extensive enough,” Tedros said. “Further data and studies will be needed to reach more robust conclusions.”

E-Publications

Most Read

RELATED

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ