India’s problems were compounded as fast-bowler Zaheer Khan was ruled out of the remainder of his side’s tour of England after being told he requires ankle surgery.
Zaheer, who is also suffering from a hamstring strain, is expected to be out of action till November.
A statement from the Board of Control for Cricket in India confirmed that the left-armer was suffering from a recurrent right hamstring strain and a right ankle impingement.
The 32-year-old, a crucial part of the Test team which is 2-0 down in the four-match series against England, picked up the injury in the first game at Lord’s and missed the second at Trent Bridge.
India have called up left-armer RP Singh, who last played a Test in April 2008, for the remainder of the tour.
Dravid to call it quits
Meanwhile, veteran India batsman Rahul Dravid announced that he will quit One-Day International (ODI) cricket after the end of the series against England.
The 38-year-old had been called into the ODI squad after a two-year absence.
“I’m honoured and privileged to be selected in the Indian ODI team,” said Dravid, who has scored 10,765 runs in 339 ODIs and made 12 centuries.
“Since I had not been picked for ODIs, I was obviously a little surprised and had not informed the selectors or the board of my desire to solely focus on Tests.
“At the end of this ODI series, I would like to announce my retirement from limited-overs cricket.”
Dravid played his last ODI in September 2009, but got the selectors’ nod following impressive performances in the ongoing Tests. India play a Twenty20 against England at Old Trafford on August 31 before the five-match ODI series starts at Chester-le-Street on September 3.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 8th, 2011.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ