Over 500 killed in three years in Punjab: Malik

According to the statistics provided by Malik, the period between 2009 and 2010 was the deadliest.


Express August 04, 2011

ISLAMABAD:


More than 500 people lost their lives in terrorist attacks over the past three years in Punjab and as many as 1,000 suspected terrorists were arrested from across the country during the same time period, Interior Minister Rehman Malik informed lawmakers in the lower house of parliament on Wednesday.


In a written reply, the minister told the National Assembly that 505 people were killed and 1,720 wounded in terror strikes across Punjab between 2009 and 2011. The provincial government paid around Rs170million in compensation to the victim families.

According to the statistics provided by Malik, the period between 2009 and 2010 was the deadliest as 324 people were killed in militant strikes. But interestingly, Rs130million of the total compensation amount was spent in 2010-2011.

Malik told the house that the law-enforcement agencies arrested 3,143 terrorists across the country.



Published in The Express Tribune, August 4th, 2011.

COMMENTS (6)

abid hussain | 10 years ago | Reply this is ridiculous mr.malik. out of the 3,413, how many were punished?? the heads of the suicide bombers which u "find" after every blast, what has been done with them so far?? did u reach out to their roots??? NO!!!!
Hedgefunder | 10 years ago | Reply

So what have you done with them??? what convictions have you actually achieved and what sentances have been passed so far??? talk is cheap, Mr Minister, just like your Karachi actions!!!!

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read