Kevin Spacey compares his #MeToo shunning to coronavirus layoffs

Umm, no.


Entertainment Desk May 07, 2020
PHOTO: FILE

The last we heard of House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey was when he escaped being charged in a sexual harassment case in October last year.

After his accuser died and the Los Angeles County District Attorneys Office formally dropped the charges against him, Spacey was nowhere to be seen until now.

The disgraced actor has come in the spotlight again, this time for comparing the uncertainties people are feeling because of coronavirus to his downfall after being accused of sexual assault. He made the comments on a podcast from early April.

“I will do my best to share some of my perspective on what it feels like to suddenly find yourself in a situation you could not possibly have prepared for or anticipated was coming,” Spacey said, kicking off his 10-minute address. He was speaking at a virtual event hosted by Germany’s “Bits and Pretzels” podcast.


“I don’t think it will come as a surprise for anyone to say that my world completely changed in the fall of 2017,” he continued. “My job, many of my relationships [and] my standing in my own industry were all gone in just a matter of hours.”

Spacey, 60, did not address any of the allegations and subsequent lawsuits. He did mention that it was “very different reasons and circumstances” that caused his unemployment. But he can relate to those who have lost their jobs because of the coronavirus crisis.

“I still believe that some of the emotional struggles are very much the same,” he said. “So I do have empathy for what it feels like to suddenly be told that you can’t go back to work or that you might lose your job and that it’s a situation that you have absolutely no control over.”

The sexual harassment case

Spacey was accused of forcing an 18-year-old to grab his genitals during a session in Malibu in October 2016.

The accuser, who was never identified, went to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, which referred the investigation to the District Attorney’s office in July 2018, reported Variety.

The District Attorney’s office has been reviewing the matter since then and had not made a decision on whether to bring charges at the time of the accuser’s death.

The accuser’s civil attorney, who had filed suit against Spacey in September 2018, notified Spacey’s lawyers that the accuser had died last month. A source said that they had had died of cancer.

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below. 

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ