Covid-19: Shehbaz again excuses himself from NAB hearing

The PML-N president had also skipped the previous hearing on April 17


​ Our Correspondent April 22, 2020
Shehbaz Sharif. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

LAHORE: Pakistan Muslim League- Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday again excused himself from appearing before National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in a money laundering case despite the anti-graft body assuring safety precautions from the coronavirus.

“Shehbaz Sharif will not appear before NAB due to fear of contracting the coronavirus,” PML-N spokesperson Marriyum Aurangzeb confirmed in a tweet. Despite the hurdle, all necessary documents have been submitted to NAB, she added.

Aurangzeb also assured that any other document would be furnished if asked by NAB whereas the anti-graft body can ask questions from Shehbaz via video conference.

Shehbaz asks NAB to defer probe till end of lockdown

“He is a cancer survivor,” she said. “His immunity is low due to which he can contract the coronavirus. Shehbaz Sharif’s request has been attached with all the necessary certificates from the doctors.”

Earlier on April 17, NAB had summoned Shehbaz, however, he skipped  the hearing and requested the top graft buster to exempt him from appearing before the NAB investigators till the end of the coronavirus pandemic in view of his health conditions

The PML-N president had to appear before NAB’s combined investigation team (CIT) at NAB Lahore Office in connection with its probe into a money laundering case. The CIT had asked Shehbaz Sharif to submit bank details from 2005 to 2007.

Covid-19: Shehbaz Sharif goes into self-quarantine post return from London

Shehbaz sent a written reply to the CIT chief, requesting him to defer the probe till the end of the lockdown by taking into account his written reply and the advice of his physicians.

He said his doctors have advised him to take precautionary measures in view of the coronavirus pandemic and to limit his interactions with people to avoid contact with the contagious disease.

“I am 69-year-old and have been a patient of cancer,” he said, adding that due to the lockdown it was also not possible for him to access all the data, record and staff.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read