289 Covid-19 cases emerge, five more deaths reported in Sindh
Furthermore, 323 people were isolated at the Tableeghi markaz in Larkana, all of whom had tested for Covid-19
LARKANA/ KARACHI: As many as 289 more coronavirus cases and five infection-related deaths were reported in Sindh on Tuesday morning, said Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah during a press in Larkana on the day.
He maintained that despite this, "we [the Sindh government] have not requested financial assistance from the federal government as it [the Centre] is also going through a very difficult phase."
Of the 289 cases that had emerged, 201 were from Karachi, 11 from Larkana, 12 from Hyderabad and 65 from other of Sindh, the CM said. He also shared that 4,978 members of the Tableeeghi Jamaat had been tested for Covid-19, of which 4,179 tested negative, 720 tested positive, 74 were awaiting results and five had died.
He further stated that with the emergence of 289 more cases, the province's virus tally had reached 3,053 and deaths of five more persons had raised the death toll to 66.
"I am sorry to share the news that the death toll has reached 66, which is 2.1 per cent of the total patients," he said.
The CM, however, added that 30 patients had recovered and sent back home on Tuesday.
"The number of patients having recovered from Covid-19 is 665 now," he maintained, adding that despite the rise in the number of deaths, the recovery ratio was "encouraging."
The CM said that 1,383 pilgrims from Iran, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere had returned to Pakistan, and 1,257 of them belonged to Larkana. Of these individuals, 663 had been tested and 63 of them had Covid-19. Therefore, 17 individuals were sent into home isolation, 33 were isolated at Tableeghi marakiz and five were taken to the hospitals in the city.
Furthermore, 323 people were isolated at the Tableeghi markaz in Larkana, all of whom had tested for Covid-19.
He said that each of 3,313 individuals in need were paid Rs6,000 as zakat. Furthermore, 14,644 people were given financial assistance under the Benazir Income Support Programme.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 22nd, 2020.