ATTOCK/ RAWALPINDI/ ISLAMABAD: The novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic claimed a second life in Attock District on Friday as a woman, who was under treatment at the CMH in the district succumbed to the virus. She was buried per strict safety protocols in Attock city.
Her death comes as the number of Covid-19 cases swelled to 154 in the federal capital and 136 in neighbouring Rawalpindi, 33 in Jhelum and four in Chakwal.
Attock District Focal Person for Covid-19 Dr Asif Arbab Niazi said that 72-years-old Zaibun Nisa, a resident of Moh Awan Shareef in Attock city had tested positive on April 16. She was receiving treatment at the Combined Military Hospital where she passed away early on the morning of April 17.
Dr Niazi added that designated officials of Rescue 1122 in full safety gear took the septuagenarian's body to a specially marked graveyard where she was buried as per the safety protocol identified by the health department under the supervision of police and security forces.
Cops test positive
Meanwhile, as many as 17 officers of the Punjab police, who have been working on the frontline with doctors and paramedic staff to prevent the spread of the Covid-19, have been shifted to a quarantine facility on the suspicion they are infected with the virus.
Officials said that of the 17, the test results for eight of them have come back as positive while results for the remaining nine have yet to come.
Of the eight positive cases, one is an ASI and four are head constables while the others are constables. Of the nine suspected patients, five are constables and one is a sub-inspector, one is a traffic warden.
Some of these officers had been at the quarantine centres set up inside and outside the city, the hospital where patients are being treated, guarding transfer of patients from quarantine centres to hospitals and even on the streets which have been sealed in the city after cases emerged.
When contacted, Punjab Police Additional IG Operations Inam Ghani said that that two out of the eight police officers have recovered from the virus and have been sent home while remaining six are under treatment in different hospitals. He assured that they are being given all the necessary complete medical facilities.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 18th, 2020.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ