Covid-19 death toll rises to 35 in Sindh
Syed Murad Ali Shah urges citizens to maintain distance from elderly
KARACHI: The coronavirus death toll in Sindh rose to 2.3 per cent of the total report cases as the contagion claimed four more lives, raising the number of infection-related deaths to 35 on Tuesday.
Sharing this information in a video statement, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah called for practicing precaution.
He further said that 63 cases of COVID-19 were reported as of Tuesday morning in Sindh, swelling the province-wide tally to 1,518.
Besides, 671 patients were undergoing treatment at their homes, 327 at different hospitals and 58 at isolation centres, he stated, adding that eight patients had recovered and returned to their homes on Tuesday, bringing the total number of recovered patients to 427.
Age and vulnerability
Regarding prevalence of the coronavirus in different age groups, he stated that the highest number of patients were between 21 and 30 years of age with 336 cases, the second highest between 31 and 40 years of age with 278 cases and the third highest between 51 and 60 years of age with 239 cases. Meanwhile, the lowest number of cases was reported between the ages of one and ten years. He added that 78.2 per cent COVID-19 patients were male and 31.8 per cent were female.
During the video message, Shah urged citizens to maintain distance from the elderly, as they were at a higher risk of contracting the coronavirus. “When you return home, change your clothes, make yourself fresh, neat and clean, and keep yourself at a distance from your elders,” he stressed.
The CM also stated that of the total number of cases, 1,003 were reported in Karachi, adding that the large number of cases in Karachi was worrisome. He maintained that this high number called for the adoption of strict precautionary measures, including citizens’ voluntary isolation at their homes.
He maintained that if this was not done, then vulnerable areas like the city’s slums would be further penetrated by COVID-19.
Shah stated 1,700 samples were collected so far in the screening drive launched in slums and coronavirus hotspots and the results of the tests would be revealed today (Wednesday).
“This testing drive will continue in katchi abadis [slums and shanty dwellings],” he added.
Furthermore, when talking about people of the Tableeghi Jamaat, Shah stated that they have been kept in isolation were being tested.
“I am thankful to all ulemas for their cooperation and support [in this regard],” he said.
Towards the end of his message, Shah urged people from all walks of life to follow the standard operating procedures that would be released by the Sindh government.
He added that “these restrictions may be considered as sureties of your [the public’s] health, therefore your [the public’s] cooperation will ensure your [the public] and your families’ safety,” he concluded.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 15th, 2020.