Sindh's death rate increased to 2.3pc in just a day: CM Murad
CM expresses concern over majority cases being reported from Karachi
KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on Tuesday said that the death rate from coronavirus has increased from 2.1 per cent to 2.3 per cent as four patients lost their lives in the last 24 hours in the province.
In a message released from the CM House, the chief minister observed that during the last 24 hours 663 new tests were conducted against which 66 came back positive.
The number of tests conducted so far is 14,503, while the number of positive cases has reached 1,518, he said.
“Death toll with four new deaths has reached 35 or 2.3 per cent,” CM Murad said, adding that, “on Monday the death rate of the total patients was 2.1 per cent.”
SC raises questions over size of federal cabinet
He said that 671 patients were under treatment at their homes [isolation], 58 at isolation centres and 327 at different hospitals.
Providing a city and district-wise break-up of the cases, CM Murad said that 176 cases were in Hyderabad, two in Jamshoro, one in Badin, 12 in Tando M. Khan, two in Sujawal, one in Dadu, eight in Shaheed Benazirabad, two in Sanghar, four in Naushehroferoze, 274 (pilgrims) in Sukkur, 14 in Khairpur, two in Ghotki, 16 in Larkana, one in Jacobabad, 328 in Karachi East, 90 in Karachi West, 229 in Karachi South, 180 in Karachi Central, 79 in Malir and 97 in Korangi.
“Out of 1,518 cases, 1,003 are in Karachi which is worrisome,” he said, adding that increasing number of coronavirus cases in the port city calls for adopting strict precautionary measures.
These measures include practising social distancing even at homes, otherwise the deadly virus would further spread in the slums, he said. The CM further maintained that testing drives will continue in katchiabadies.
Talking about Tableeghi Jamaat members, the chief minister said that they have been kept in isolation and are being tested.
“I am thankful to all the Ulemas for their cooperation and support,” he added.
Around 1,700 samples have so far been collected from the ongoing testing drives in the city's hotspots; the results are expected tomorrow.
“Eight patients recovered during the last 24 hours and returned home. So far 427 patients have recovered, which constitutes 29 per cent of the total patients.” CM Murad said.
As far as the age group of patients was concerned, the CM said that 73 patients were between 1 to 10 years of age, 125 between 11 to 20 years, 336 between 21 to 30 years, 278 between 31 to 40 years, 214 between 41 to 50 years, 239 between 51 to 60, 165 between 61 to 70 years, 50 between 71 to 80 and seven between 81 to 90 years.
“78.2 per cent patients were male and 31.8 per cent female,” CM said.
'God is with us': Many Muslims flout the coronavirus ban in mosques
The chief minister further urged everyone to keep themselves away from their elderly.
“If you go out, change your clothes when you return, freshen up and keep yourself at a distance from your elders,” he said as they were more prone to the infection.
Shah requested people from of all walks of life to follow the SOPs to be released by the government. “These restrictions may be considered as sureties of your health therefore, your cooperation will ensure your safety and safety of your family members,” he concluded.