KARACHI: More than twice as many men have contracted coronavirus as compared to women in Sindh, data shared by Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah revealed on Sunday as 93 more cases emerged in the province, raising the tally to 1,411.
“The data shows that males are affected more than females as they go out of their homes more frequently and do not follow social distancing practices advised by the experts," Shah said while emphasising the importance of social distancing during a time of crisis.
According to the data, 68.3 per cent males and 31.7 per cent females have been affected by the virus in Sindh.
He said two more patients have succumbed to COVID-19 during the last 24 hours. “The number of tests conducted so far comes to 13,309 while the tally of the positive cases has risen to 1,411,” he said.
CM Murad said that 569 tests were conducted during the last 24 hours, 93 of them came out positive and added that 18 more patients had recovered, bringing the provincial tally to 389. "The percentage of cured patients in terms of the total positive cases is 28 per cent."
Worried by ‘world's highest’ test rate, Sindh CM blasts laxness in lockdown
Giving details of the patients, he said that 645 were in self-isolation at homes, 60 at quarantine centres and 992 were being treated in different hospitals.
The chief minister said that 71 patients were between one to 10 years of age, 118 between 11 to 20 years, 311 between 21 to 30 year, 260 between of 31 to 40 years, 196 of 41 to 50 years, 226 between 51 to 60 years, 152 between 61 to70 years, 47 between 71 to 80 years and five between 81 to 90 years.
“This shows that the people of every age are prone to the virus. Therefore, we all have to be careful in our movement and must maintain social distancing even at home,” he urged.
CM Murad once again appealed to the masses to observe the lockdown in true letter and spirit, stressing that there was no other way to contain the virus.