QUETTA: Balochistan government on Saturday suspended 44 doctors over failure to join duty in Taftan, a town near Pak-Iran border in Chagai district, during the coronavirus outbreak in the province.
Provincial government Focal Person for Coronavirus Prevention Umair Hasni announced this during a press conference at Deputy Commissioner office in Dalbandin.
“Government had suspended 12 doctors earlier over their failure to report for duty.
Besides, it will ensure strict action against doctors who refuse to render services during the health emergency,” said Hasni, adding coronavirus patients needed the care of medics in Taftan. Hasni apprised journalists about a container town established in Taftan which had the capacity to accommodate 600 pilgrims returning from Iran for quarantine.
Young Doctors Association (YDA) has announced it will continue protest against the lack of safety kits for doctors treating coronavirus patients in Sheikh Zayed Hospital Quetta, according to a statement issued.
“Provincial government has not provided safety kits to doctors despite many of them having been infected with the coronavirus,” said YDA Spokesperson Rahim Babar while talking to The Express Tribune, adding the Balochistan government evades responsibility despite being requested repeatedly to provide safety gear to doctors on duty for their protection.
The spokesperson recorded protest by locking medical superintendent’s office.
Earlier, YDA had postponed the protest over Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal’s assurance to address the issue onpriority. A delegation of doctors met the chief minister at Bolan Medical Complex Hospital. The delegation was led by Dr Yasir Achakzai.
The spokesperson said the non-serious attitude of the government compelled the YDA to resume protest. He also threatened to stage a sit-in outside the Chief Minister House.
Besides, Civil Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr Fazlur Rehman Bugti accused doctors of blackmailing the administration and shirking duties.
Due to lack of safety equipment for doctors in the province, so far 11 doctors have tested positive for the deadly pandemic.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 6th, 2020.