Meghan Markle, Prince Harry reportedly called back to the UK by the Queen

Published: February 12, 2020
Email
PHOTO: FILE

PHOTO: FILE

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry may have stepped back as senior members of the Royal family, but as they’ve made clear, they’re still here to support the Queen of England.

According to the Sunday Times, Queen Elizabeth has called upon the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, including baby Archie, to return to the U.K. to attend the annual Commonwealth service.

View this post on Instagram

Today The Duke of Sussex attended a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace alongside Her Majesty The Queen and other Members of The Royal Family. The Queen hosts Garden Parties as a means of recognizing guests for the good work they are doing in their communities, a tradition steeped in history and dating back to the 1860s during Queen Victoria’s reign. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attended their first official Garden Party as a couple last May at Buckingham Palace just days after their wedding, in celebration of The Prince of Wales’ charity work, patronages and military affiliations. Today, The Duke of Sussex met with several guests including those that he and The Duchess extended a personal invitation to based on their extensive work in the community. His Royal Highness met with a representative of @africanparksnetwork (of which he is President), a mental health consultant for @weareinvictusgames and countless others who are leading by example with high impact cause driven work. The Duke also greeted several representatives of The Duchess’ patronages on her behalf, as she is on maternity leave and was unable to attend. These include members from @themayhew @thenationaltheatre and @smartworkscharity as well as The Association of Commonwealth Universities. Amongst the 8,000 people attending today were Members of the Armed Services, Ambassadors as well as those who have made a positive impact through the arts, charity work and volunteering. Thank you to volunteers, staff and all of those who dedicate their time and energy to working towards the collective good. We appreciate all that you do

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

The event will take place at Westminster Abbey on March 9, and the couple is expected to arrive in the country with Archie for official engagements before returning to Canada. The couple has previously attended the Commonwealth service in 2018 and 2019.

The Times sources say the Queen is “remarkably relaxed” and “unfazed” by the Sussexes’ new arrangements, and has said the monarchy must not stand in their way. “If that’s what they want, if they want to go, we must let them go,” The Queen reportedly told friends.

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry spotted of their first appearance since Royal exit 

Meghan and Harry have been spending time in Canada, as they set up their next moves to become financially independent. Though they reportedly made their first public appearance after the announcement at a private event in Miami last week, no photos have been shared.

View this post on Instagram

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” they wrote in their initial statement.

“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.”

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • SHAW S
    Feb 20, 2020 - 7:50PM

    The Queen is behaving like a spoilt Brat; Now she put a ban on using the word ‘Royal’ along with the word Sussex … Okay, so dont use the word Royal with Sussex as the old hag says..; Make your brand as “Sussex Crown”.. as the word ‘crown’ is a common noun word and cannot be challenged in any court as proprietary rights; This old hag cannot take away the Duke & Duchess of Sussex title away from them so use it to advantage; Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Gossip