With China expanding drastic travel restrictions to contain a viral contagion that has killed 56 people and infected nearly 2,000, here are simple precautions that can protect you from contracting the disease.
Originating in Hubei’s capital of Wuhan, the virus has spread throughout China and around the world, with cases confirmed in around a dozen countries as distant as France, Australia and the United States.
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue: it should be immediately disposed off and hands should be washed.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has fever and cough
- In case of fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, immediately seek medical care and share previous travel history with healthcare provider.
- While visiting live markets currently experiencing cases of novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals.
- The consumption of raw or under-cooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods as per good safety practices.
- As it is still not clear which kind of meat is actual cause of the infection, it is better to avoid consumption of meat, eggs and milk altogether for the time being.
Meanwhile, a notice issued by the Pakistani Embassy in Beijing has urged the local community to corporate with the Chinese health authorities for curbing the spread, understanding prevention and complying with the measures taken.
The foreign nationals whose visa expired after January 23 will be facilitated by the single window for foreign business handing at the Wuhan Citizens Home run by the Exit, Entry and Administration Department of the Wuhan Public Security Bureau.
“The Community members/students are further requested to extend complete cooperation to local authorities, avoid unnecessary social media hype and ignore unconfirmed news,” read the notice.
The Embassy also issued emergency contacts:
+86(10) 65326301 (Direct)
+86(10) 65326660-6043 and 6108(extension)
Cell No:- +86 156 5288 9195