ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Thursday apologised to the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and its chief Altaf Hussain for Sindh Senior Minister Zulfiqar Mirza’s statement.
Speaking to the media in Islamabad, Malik said he was speaking on behalf of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leadership and said he was hopeful Altaf Hussain would ask his workers to exercise restraint.
He said everyone in the party was upset and had disowned Mirza’s statement.
“Non-parliamentary behavior should not take place,” he said.
The interior minister said similar statements had also come from Nine Zero in the past and requested all stakeholders to be patient.
Malik said President Asif Ali Zardari had asked Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah to submit a report on the incident within 24 hours.
Speaking on the situation in Karachi, the interior minister said he endorsed Sindh Home Minister Manzoor Hussain Wasan’s statements and that he had ensured logistical support to him. He said 500 FC men had been sent to Karachi.
Malik said Rangers had been asked to ensure safety of life and property of the people in Karachi.
The interior minister said that sacrifices made by the Urdu-speaking people should not be forgotten. He said Altaf Hussain has no match and that he is “the real leader of the community”.
He said that Urdu-speaking people were not limited to the MQM and they were PPP representatives in parliament and also occupied top positions in the party.