Pakistan rejects Indian claims about 'so-called launchpads' targeted along LoC

Published: October 20, 2019
Email
FO spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal.PHOTO: FILE

FO spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal.PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Sunday categorically rejected Indian media reports regarding “so-called launchpads” being targeted by Indian forces along the Line of Control (LoC).

In a statement, the Foreign Office said Indian Charge d’Affaires Gaurav Ahluwalia had been summoned by Dr Muhammad Faisal, Director General (SA & SAARC), to register Pakistan’s protest over the unprovoked ceasefire violations by Indian forces along the LoC.

“The Indian occupation forces, along the LoC and Working Boundary, have continuously been targeting civilian populated areas with artillery fire, heavy calibre mortars, and automatic weapons,” read the statement.

“Heinous Indian targeting of civilians is a typical attempt by India to divert international attention from the humanitarian nightmare in IOJ&K [Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir],” it added.

 

 

Nine Indian soldiers killed, several injured in LoC exchange: ISPR

As for the targeting of “so-called launchpads”, Pakistan called upon the five permanent United Nations members, or P5, to press New Delhi for proof and concrete information.

Islamabad also conveyed its willingness to arrange a visit of P5 diplomats to the alleged locations “to expose Indian falsehood.”

“The deliberate targeting of civilian populated areas is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity, International Human Rights and Humanitarian Laws. The ceasefire violations by India are a threat to regional peace and security and may lead to a strategic miscalculation,” the FO statement read.

Dr Faisal urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 ceasefire arrangement, investigate the numerous incidents of ceasefire violations, instruct the Indian forces to respect the agreement and maintain peace on the LoC and Working Boundary.

He also urged the Indian side to permit the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) to perform its mandated role as per the UN Security Council Resolutions.

Dr Faisal also took to social media to condemn India’s aggression, vowing that “we shall defend ourselves”.

Nine soldiers of the Indian Army were killed and several more injured as the Pakistan Army “effectively responded” to New Delhi’s unprovoked ceasefire violations along the LoC.

In a series of tweets, DG ISPR Major General Asif Ghafoor said Pakistan destroyed two Indian bunkers.

He said one Pakistani soldier and three civilians were martyred in the exchange of fire, while two soldiers and five civilians suffered injuries.

Two of the five injured civilians succumbed to their injuries later, raising the number of civilian deaths to five.

“Due to indiscriminate and unprovoked firing by Indian occupation forces, including use of heavy artillery, five innocent civilians, Muhammad Rafaqat s/o Haji Azam aged 28 years, Haji Azam aged 60 years, Haji Sarfaraz s/o Ghulam Rabbani aged 47 years, residents of Village Nausadda, and two non-resident civilian labourers Mr. Liaqat and Mr. Faisal, embraced shahadat, while six others, including women and children, sustained serious injuries,” read the FO statement.

 

Facebook Conversations

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Pakistan