[fbvideo link=" https://www.facebook.com/etribune/videos/2432512757033212/"][/fbvideo]
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) meeting over Kashmir was an achievement for Pakistan as it negated the Indian claim that it was its internal matter, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said on Friday.
"I want to congratulate the nation that after 1965 for the first time the Kashmir issue was discussed in the UNSC... a huge diplomatic victory for Pakistan," Qureshi said in a media briefing in Islamabad over the UNSC moot held earlier in the day.
The discussions, which were requested by Pakistan and China, follow New Delhi's decision to strip IOK of its autonomy earlier this month.
UNSC meeting nullifies India’s claims IOK is its ‘internal matter’: Lodhi
The foreign minister said India endeavoured to block the UNSC meet but to no avail, adding that the international community had rejected India’s stance on Kashmir being its "internal matter". Rather, he added, it had been recognised as an international conflict.
Qureshi said representatives from the UN’s department of political affairs and peace-keeping affairs were also invited in the meeting to present a fact report on the held valley, adding that “according to my knowledge, it has been decided by the UNSC members that the decision over Kashmir conflict would be taken after assessing ground situation, which would be reviewed after lifting of curfew and media blackout in the region”.
“I have summoned a high-level meeting tomorrow to mull over a future course of action,” the foreign minister added.
He thanked the international community, particularly UNSC members, and the international media for supporting the people of Kashmir and exposing India.
Pakistan, Qureshi reiterated, will continue with its moral, political and diplomatic support for the people of occupied Kashmir in their struggle against Indian occupation.
On August 5, India stripped Kashmiris of the special autonomy they had for seven decades through a rushed presidential order.
Veiled nuclear threat
Meanwhile, Qureshi termed Indian defence minister Rajnath Singh's statement on possible change in “No First Use” policy of nuclear weapons “highly irresponsible”.
"The substance and timing of the Indian defence minister's statement is highly unfortunate and reflective of India's irresponsible and belligerent behaviour. It further exposes the pretense of their no first-use policy to which we have never accorded any credence," he read out Pakistan's official statement on the issue.
"No First use pledge is non-verifiable and cannot be taken at face value, especially when development of offensive capabilities and force postures belie such claims. Pakistan has always proposed measures relating to nuclear restraint in South Asia and has eschewed measures that are offensive in nature. Pakistan will continue to maintain a credible minimum deterrence posture."
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ