10 things I hate about meat eaters

Published: June 13, 2010

1.  They insist on scoffing at you for being a vegetarian, claiming people who don’t eat meat are “losers” or “stupid”, when in reality they’re secretly jealous because they are lacking the willpower it takes to know you will never be able to eat a cheese burger again.

2. They insist on mocking your food: “what is that, man? Ghaans phoos?” Yes, it is. Now, leave me alone, you cholesterol- packed-carcass-chomper.

3. They think they’re being very intelligent when they say ridiculous things like, “but why eat plants? They have feelings too.” Yes, but those aren’t my politics. My politics extend to not harming animals. Thank you, now you may leave.

4. They just don’t get it: Wait so you can’t eat chicken? What about beef? What? No?!? What about veal??? Prawns?” NO MEAT.

5. They come in all forms: “Is Hollywood making you do this to yourself?” (the concerned parent), “But you’re so skinny” (the jealous friend), and my favourite, “Madam aap ghost nahin khatein hain?” (the bewildered and disoriented waiter, who’d rather ask that repeatedly than actually bring you your food).

6. They’re all doctors: “Vegetarianism isn’t healthy.”  There are millions of healthy vegetarians. It isn’t a decision you make lightly, given everything you’re giving up, and we know where to get our nutrients. Oh, and before you ask, yes I know about multivitamins, genius.

7. Their unfathomable logic: “You know animals want you to eat them.” And you know this because you telepathically communicate with cows, right?

8. They think being a vegetarian is the same as being a vegan (no animal products consumed at all including milk, eggs or animal lard, or products created with these), and the same as being a pescatarian (people who eat fish as their only source of meat). Please read a book.

9. Many of them associate vegetarianism with Americanism or Westernism. I take it you’ve never heard of yogis? Or herbivores? Do me a favour: Read A Book.Now

10. Upon hearing you’re a vegetarian, they all instantly convert into super pious people: “You know God made animals so we could eat them, right? They’re here to serve us.” And you know this because you and God speak every Saturday, and text on and off the whole week. Three words for you, buddy: We’re done here.

Published in the Express Tribune, June 13th, 2010.

• Dee
    Jun 13, 2010 - 7:03PM

Doctors are right meat is a really good source of vitamin B12 you cant get it from plants.

And your life is sad :)Recommend

• DZ
    Jun 13, 2010 - 7:16PM

Repetitive.Recommend

• amin ahmad
    Jun 13, 2010 - 8:00PM

Agree with the remarks made to vegetarians and vegans (as I have made all of these, and will continue to do so). The author needs to read some Hadith and Quran with tafseer/translation. Who is trying to be the smart cookie here? I rest my case. Recommend

• Joanne
    Jun 14, 2010 - 7:30AM

An undeniable fact: heart disease is the number 1 killer of humans today due to the over consumption of animals. Animal fats not only clog the arteries to the heart, they clog the blood vessels supplying oxygen to the brain.Recommend

• alex
    Jun 14, 2010 - 9:09AM

Nice!!! And so TRUE!! Ha, ha, brilliant!Recommend

• Gretty
    Jun 14, 2010 - 9:13AM

Yeah, they (corpse munchers) need to attack someone because deep down they feel guilty and they know what they are doing is wrong. For those ones that are brainwashed by religion, unfortunately there isn’t much hope.

But well said, and thanks for posting!Recommend

• Ammar Zafarullah
    Jun 14, 2010 - 12:43PM

hah! Chicken :P Recommend

• Jun 14, 2010 - 1:16PM

Boring. I think same point was presented with different angles through out. Recommend

• Tariq
    Jun 14, 2010 - 6:41PM

Geo aur jenay do. You want to be a vegetarian, your loss. I want to eat meat, let me be. Nobody hates vegetarians (I have yet to hear of such a thing), they may not understand them but nobody hates them; a lot of people hate meat-eaters though. I wonder why that is?Recommend

• Jun 14, 2010 - 9:01PM

and the look of pity when they see you coming to a restaurant.
    well i can eat whatever i want, there are many things in this world that do not contains dead animals btw …Recommend

• Zehra Raza
    Jun 15, 2010 - 3:27AM

Brilliant! Humourous and witty and a great window. It also makes us aware of our prejudices! Well done, Mishka!Recommend

• Danish
    Jun 15, 2010 - 6:27AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BEEF!Recommend

• Stranger
    Jun 15, 2010 - 9:17AM

A balance diet is best for health.

Boring. I think same point was presented with different angles through out.[2]Recommend

• Jun 15, 2010 - 9:20AM

Veggie-rage? Really? But hey, to each their own salad, right? Recommend

• Shaggy Solangi Chandio
    Jun 15, 2010 - 11:03AM

Atleast you know what youre talking about, unlike mmost writers hereRecommend

• Faryal Tahir
    Jun 15, 2010 - 3:12PM

Its like the writer is confused, vegetarian sticks to the veggie diet but meat eater ALSO eats meat. There’s no comparison at all unless you are from 1990’s. The recent fitness wave has focused people on ‘eat balanced’ than to stick to any of the categories. People avoid meat as per religion, taste buds or prescription only. But again who cares? Do you?

And yeah Boring. I think same point was presented with different angles through out.[3]Recommend

• naskee
    Jun 16, 2010 - 9:16AM

Whaaaaat? Does that mean you can’t eat McDonald’s? What about KFC? Noooo? Barbecue?

I think that people who have given up meat can definitely relate to this article. Recommend

• Qalandre
    Jun 18, 2010 - 1:25AM

ah meat is overrated.Recommend

• Jun 20, 2010 - 6:42PM

First of all, I cannot believe the amount of stupidity in some of the comments. How on earth does religion even get into this argument? The writer has not in any way insulted or attacked anyone for eating meat. She’s only talking about when people question HER choice of being a vegetarian, which is what annoys her.
    Secondly, the fact that multivitamins are kind of sort of mentioned in the piece itself preclude any smartass remarks about how the writer’s life is sad and deprived of essential minerals.
    Get a life, please and thank you?Recommend

• anum