"Enslaved animals on the streets are my real heroes", Aaminah Haq

Published: June 13, 2010
Former supermodel and original

Former supermodel and original "It" Girl Friday, Aaminah Haq reckons she resembles Kung Fu Panda on most days, wishes she could work at an animal shelter and has a reliable UPS

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Fitting into my size 26 jeans, abolishing animal cruelty, owning the LVMH group, the monsoon, biryani, and my boy Barack.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

An appetite for self destruction.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?

The usual suspects: dishonestly, double standards, debauchery.

What is your greatest extravagance?

The choices I’ve made and the way I’ve lived my life.

What is your current state of mind?

To reboot and restart.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Madonna put it rather well in one of her early songs…

On what occasion do you lie?

When Ammar asks me about the whereabouts of the Magnum he’d  gotten himself, or the entire jar of cake rusks that seem to have vanished.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?

The fact that on a good day I look like Kung Fu Panda.

Which living person do you most despise?

People who use animals to earn a livelihood, cockroaches, lizards, politicians, celebrities, sleaze buckets and self proclaimed style pundits. Also the Punjab police, and women who sleep their way to the top. I could go on, but you’d run out of space.

What is the quality you most like in a man?

A great sense of humour, being smart as a whip and yes he shouldn’t look like Shrek.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?

Intelligence and the ability to laugh at herself.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Obviously and No.

When and where were you happiest?

Every day after the gym.

Which talent would you most like to have?

To be able to surf or win an Olympic medal at something hardcore.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

My substance abuse days.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Quitting modelling and getting a 9-to-5 job.

If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?

One of Sadaf Malaterre’s cats.

If you didn’t do your current job, what would you choose to do?

I am currently dabbling as a freelance journalist and PR consultant, so, in a perfect world, I’d be a buyer for a store, or be the creative/fashion editor of  Bazaar, Vogue, or W. Also, work in an animal sanctuary.

Who is your hero of fiction?

All the characters from Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, Catwoman, Katy Keen, the Sandman and Superman.

Who are your heroes in real life?

My mom, my naani, my husband, my friends, and all the animals that I’ve ever had the pleasure of being introduced to, or I see enslaved on our streets.

What’s your favourite quote?

Usually anything my therapist has the misfortune of saying.

How many hours of loadshedding did you experience yesterday?

None; my trusty UPS never lets me down.

Published in the Express Tribune, June 13th, 2010.

• Jun 13, 2010 - 8:12PM

Wow. I don’t like the whole “fashion industry”, but this woman comes across really different and grounded. Nice interview!Recommend

• talha
    Jun 14, 2010 - 10:10AM

Humans are also social animal and i do believe that if she looks around, she will notice working woman at homes and the boys at workkshops required more support as compared to the roadside animals.
    she is a living legend and I believe that she can work out for the betterment of mankind.Recommend

• Nojeba
    Jun 14, 2010 - 5:35PM

This is coming from a model?? Was this interview ever even conducted? like seriously? I mean it seems way too intellectual for someone from the fashion industryRecommend

• Munazza Sami
    Jun 22, 2010 - 12:03PM

Why didn’t she count her father(Ghulam Musfata Khar) in the list of heroes?Or any one tell me that isit real that she is the daughter of Mr.Khar a politician or he disown her.Recommend

• Munazza Sami
    Jun 22, 2010 - 12:05PM

Any one tell me that his father is Mr.Ghulam Mustafa Khar?or i think he disown her?is there any truth in it?Recommend

• Jun 24, 2010 - 1:48PM

@ Munazza Sami:
    Yup Ghulam Mustafa Khar is her father. Initially he disown her due to her joining of fashion industry and but now in TV interviews he always appreciate her and acknowledge her work.Recommend

• Raza
    Jul 5, 2010 - 10:58AM

She is among the rare breed of women in Pakistan fashion/tv who are not only smart but also self-made. Recommend

• Appalled
    Jul 6, 2010 - 8:50PM

Quitting modeling and getting a 9-5 job is her biggest achievement? Her heroes are the animals she’s met?

Is this a joke? Ms. Haq needs to get her head out of her backside and open her eyes to the world. Reality check: most of us have 9-5 jobs, you haven’t accomplished a miracle. And I agree with Talha, sure animals are important but take a look at the poverty around you and use your fame for its alleviation.

I really don’t find this woman intelligent like the other commenters. Rather, she seems self obsessed and a sad example of why Pakistani society has failed.Recommend

• Nojeba
    Jul 15, 2010 - 1:59PM

@ Appalled. I agree with you. If she was intelligent she could have used her brains to do something a lot more than prance around on the catwalk. I dont think any of our female models are actually educated or have a degree except nadya Hussain and ZQ. Honestly i think these women took up modelling cuz they know they dont have the brains or intelligence to do anything else in life.Recommend

More in Gossip