Mall’s food court catches fire

The fire department sent two fire tenders on receiving information of the incident

​ Our Correspondent July 24, 2019
Representational image. PHOTO: REUTERS

KARACHI: A fire broke out in the food court of a mall located on Rashid Minhas Road on Tuesday. With the help of four fire tenders and a snorkel, the fire was finally put out after an hour and a half. However, the fire had caused significant damage to the food court by then.

According to Gulistan-e-Jauhar Fire Station In-Charge Mubin Ahmed, the fire broke out in the kitchen of RJ Mall’s food court, located on the fourth floor of the mall. He said that the fire department’s staff managed to contain the fire and prevented it from spreading to other floors but the smoke emitting from the fire rapidly spread to other areas of the mall.

The fire department had sent two fire tenders on receiving information of the incident. The flames had engulfed the entire food court, reducing the furniture and other items present there to ashes. More fire tenders were summoned and soon two fire tenders and a snorkel arrived at the mall. Speaking to The Express Tribune, Ahmed said that the building’s façade was made of concrete and there was no opening available for the smoke to escape. Officials of the fire department said that a survey of the mall will be conducted once the building cools down.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 24th, 2019.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read