Police fail to find any leads in Farishta’s case

Published: June 13, 2019


ISLAMABAD: Very little progress has been made in minor Farishta’s rape case despite the federal police’s tall claims that the suspects would be presented before the nation within two days of the incident.

After scrutinising up to 800 calls, the police remained unable to find any clues of the suspects and were still finding ways to cover their incompetence.

The snail-pace in the case’s progress despite the forensic reports has raised serious questions on the police’s performance which directly operates under the Interior Ministry.

Well-placed sources in the district administration informed that the Islamabad Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) Waseem Ahmed had sent the report of the judicial inquiry conducted by him to the Islamabad Chief Commissioner.

A copy of this report has further been forwarded to the Prime Minister’s office, Interior Ministry and Islamabad inspector general (IG). Subsequently, Islamabad Police have also received the forensic report from Punjab Forensic Science Laboratory.

Despite the completion of the requirements, the victim’s family is still waiting for the police to bring suspects to justice.

The sources said that no traces of any other DNA were recovered from the victim’s clothes.

The police conducted DNA tests of up to 12 people within the vicinity of where the incident occurred.

Thus far, more than 250 people have been investigated, out of which most of them were already infamous for criminal activities.

The police have heard recordings of around 0.8 million calls, out of which they short-listed 1,500 calls which they believed could have been made by a potential suspect.

The people behind those calls were investigated but the investigation exacted no fruitful results.

The investigationa officers have inspected background and records of up to 380 people from 480 houses in the surroundings. In line with the geo-fencing report, phone call records of 1,800 people were also inspected.

The police sources claimed that the victim was not raped. However, the victim also allegedly recognised the suspect, said the officer. In order to remain safe, he killed the minor with a dagger, he added.

A serious claim such as this has made things easy for unidentified suspect.

The victim’s father claimed that a MNA of the ruling party Khurram Nawaz, allegedly offered him Rs100,000 to wind-up the sit-in and take away his daughter’s body.

The Express Tribune tried to reach the lawmaker but he could not be contacted.

Furthermore, the judicial inquiry report requested stringent action against the station house officer (SHO), investigation officer and other responsible policemen over display of negligence while performing their duties and showed a discourteous attitude towards the victim’s family.

The report also exonerated the medico legal officer of Polyclinic who was previously charged with negligence due to his alleged procrastination in conducting the post-mortem.

The report justified the delay stating that he was not responsible for delay in post-mortem of the deceased as the timing the victim was brought in did not correspondent with the timings of his shift.

The report said that according to the duty-roster, the medico legal officer’s shift had not begun when the victim was brought in to the hospital, which is why the victim’s post-mortem was delayed.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 12th, 2019.

Facebook Conversations

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Pakistan