Qaddafi revives offer of vote to end Libya conflict

Published: June 26, 2011
SHARES
Email
The government was proposing a period of national dialogue and an election overseen by the United Nations. PHOTO: REUTERS

The government was proposing a period of national dialogue and an election overseen by the United Nations. PHOTO: REUTERS

TRIPOLI / PRETORIA: The Libyan government on Sunday renewed its offer to hold a vote on whether Muammar Qaddafi should stay in power, a proposal unlikely to interest Qaddafi’s opponents but which could widen differences inside Nato.

Pressure is growing from some quarters within the alliance to find a political solution, three months into a military campaign which is costing Nato members billions of dollars, has killed civilians, and has so far failed to topple Qaddafi.

Musa Ibrahim, a spokesman for Qaddafi’s administration, told reporters in Tripoli the government was proposing a period of national dialogue and an election overseen by the United Nations and the African Union.

Qaddafi staying in Libya and in power: spokesman

Qaddafi has no intention of leaving power or Libya, despite rebel claims they are expecting a proposal to end the conflict from Tripoli very soon, the government spokesman said on Sunday.

“Qaddafi is here. He is staying. He is leading the country. He will not leave. He will not step down because he does not have any official position,” Musa Ibrahim said when asked about rebel reports that they expect an offer from Qaddafi very soon.

“We will not give in to some criminal gangs who took our cities hostage. We will not give in to the criminal organisation of Nato. Every one continues to fight. We are ready to fight street to street, house to house,” he added.

S Africa’s Zuma warns NATO against Qaddafi ‘assassination’

South African President Jacob Zuma Sunday warned Nato against using its military campaign in Libya for the “political assassination” of Qaddafi, at the start of talks on the war.

South Africa voted for the UN resolution for a no-fly zone over Libya, which Nato uses to justify its campaign, but in some of his sharpest language yet, Zuma warned the alliance against overstepping its mandate.

“The continuing bombing by Nato and its allies is a concern that has been raised by our committee and by the AU Assembly, because the intention of Resolution 1973 was to protect the Libyan people and facilitate the humanitarian effort,” Zuma said, referring to an African Union peace mission on Libya.

“The intention was not to authorise a campaign for regime change or political assassination,” he said in opening talks in Pretoria of the AU panel on Libya, according to a text of the speech provided to AFP.

“On the ground, there is a military stalemate which cannot and must not be allowed to drag on and on — both because of its horrendous cost in civilian lives and the potential it has to destabilise the entire sub-region,” he said.

“The people of Africa want to see an immediate end to the conflict in Libya and the beginning of the process towards a democratic dispensation there,” he said.

Zuma urged both Qaddafi and the rebel’s Transitional National Council (TNC) to make compromises to reach a deal.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • Jun 27, 2011 - 2:56PM

    That is not a bill that someone should be passing now … to take permission or not … to fund or not … the bill that should be passed right now collectively with all nations is “NO MORE WARS FOR MONEY”. That’s the bill they should pass right now. This bill should imply that the warring nations … this is the nations that are bombing the country should not in any way get involved in any kind of direct or indirect financial transactions with the victim country. That’s what we should fight for now … that’s the bill they should pass now.

    After seeing what they have done in Ruka … what is stopping us from bringing about such a resolution?

    Common sense!?

    Read more:

    http://godinthejungle.com/index.php/story-notes/395-saturday-june-25-2011.htmlRecommend

More in Pakistan