Twitter Alert: In memory of Benazir Bhutto

Published: June 21, 2011
Friends and supporters showed an outpouring of love and encouraged people to donate blood on her birthday. PHOTO: PID

Pakistan’s Twitterati remembered the birthday of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto on Tuesday. Friends and supporters showed an outpouring of love and encouraged people to donate blood as part of the national campaign to commemorate the assassinated Pakistan People’s Party leader.

Bakhtawar Bhutto Zardari

Happy 58th Birthday to an incomparable woman, hero, leader and more importantly – mother. Every year my father presented my mother with dozens of roses for her birthday. Following this tradition, we placed 58 bouquets on her grave.

Aseefa Bhutto Zardari

Just donated blood to honour my leader and mother Shaheed Mothrama Benazir Bhutto…Happy Birthday.

Aamna Taseer

Thinking of Benazir Bhutto and her family Bakhtawar, Aseefa and Bilawal today. An irreplaceable loss for Pakistan

Husain Haqqani

In memory of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto, who would have celebrated her 58th birthday on June 21 #Pakistan

Ijazul Haq

Millions have been spent to advertise Benazir’s Birthday while the country is starving to death. Should we even be shocked?

Farahnaz Ispahani

Bhutto Sahab Shahnawaz, Murtaza and finally my leader, sister and friend Bibi as I called her. Cruel country but we can’t give up.

Benazir Bhutto Shaheed, Salmaan Taseer, Shahbaz Bhatti, Saleem Shahzad and so many others – nameless and faceless.

Taslima Nasreen

Benazir Bhutto wrote to me “I have been impressed by your courage and determination in the face of such backwardness and fundamentalism.”

Sara Taseer

Benazir Bhutto’s birthday today; a life to be celebrated. Face of a liberal and progressive Pakistan.

Shehrbano Taseer

Happy birthday to #Benazir Bhutto – we salute our martyrs

Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy

Few women have the guts to fight the system in Pakistan – despite her shortcomings Benazir Bhutto did I await the new female PM of Pakistan

Raza Rumi

But there were many who betrayed BB, maligned her and now mourning her loss. A society at war against itself. Look at the trolls.

• Salman Orangiwala
    Jun 21, 2011 - 5:19PM

blogger ji , care to put some ” twits ” of the Desi twitters
    who really donot have the access to the Twitter , from Zhob , Kamalia , Nowshera or for that matter , Thar or Karachis Orangi Town ?

We would also very much like to learn what they have to say . I dare you .Recommend

• Jun 21, 2011 - 6:48PM

@Ijaz Bhai, how much arew you willing 2 part with (I mean money) to make up for this catastrophic loss. Recommend

• Elyas kakar
    Jun 21, 2011 - 7:41PM

The people are never wrong they can be poor they can be hungry but their thinking can never go astray(shaheed mohtarma benazeer bhutto)
    shaheed BIBI you were the only source of inspiration for the poor hungry and deprived people of the country JEAY BHUTTO

@ D asghar everything isnt for money its our love our inspiration of millions of jiyalas Recommend

• Cautious
    Jun 21, 2011 - 8:47PM

Another debacle with the murderer still on the loose – fingers pointing at political heads – and basically nothing other than politicians scoring points. You apparently don’t care if people assassinate national hero’s which says something particularly bad about Pakistan.Recommend

• Syed A. Mateen
    Jun 21, 2011 - 11:54PM

Many people from around the world have congratulated His Royal Highness, Prince of England on his 29th birthday on June 21, 2011.

People of Pakistan should congratulate Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto (Shaheed) on her 58th birthday on June 21, 2011, irrespective of political differences with PPP, as she was assassinated on December 27, 2011.

She came to Pakistan for the sake of people of Pakistan. Recommend

• RealityCheck
    Jun 22, 2011 - 1:53AM

WOW, attempt to raise BB above the levels of Jinnah and Liaquat Ali Khan by PPP. Fortunately Pakistani’s have a very short memory as soon as the PPP government is out of office no one shall even remember her birthday. Another effort to raise her to the level of a saint by Zardari and Co.Recommend

• Jun 23, 2011 - 12:34PM

@Elyas Bhai, my tweet was copied here, it was in response to Ijaz Ul Haq’s tweet, where he criticized that millions have been spent in birthday celeberations of SMBB. So I asked him to put his money where his mouth is. I am a jiyala odf my own type as well. Just wanted to clarify.Recommend

• Amjad Ayub Mirza
    Jul 22, 2011 - 1:40AM

Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Shaheed was a personality that influenced everyone. She was a great democrat and a fighter. Her martyrdom had great effect on me. My life is now dedicated to the eradication of poverty and upholding the flag of freedom. Salman Taseer’s martyrdom has enforced my commitment to the above resolves and I am humbly proud to be a fellow comrade of the People Of Pakistan who strive for the same.