Taliban call off peace talks with US officials

Published: January 8, 2019
Email
PHOTO: REUTERS

PHOTO: REUTERS

PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN: The Taliban said on Tuesday they had cancelled planned peace talks with US officials in Qatar this week over an agenda disagreement.

“Both sides have agreed to not meet in Qatar,” senior Taliban members based in Afghanistan told Reuters.

Talks had been planned for two days starting Wednesday in Qatar, senior Taliban members earlier told Reuters. The Taliban had rejected requests from regional powers to allow Afghan officials to take part in the discussion.

Talks with Taliban: Afghan president’s special envoy to arrive today

The Taliban regard the United States as its main adversary in the Afghan war and views direct talks with Washington as a legitimate effort to seek the withdrawal of foreign troops before engaging with the Afghan government.

The war in Afghanistan is America’s longest overseas military intervention. It has cost Washington nearly a trillion dollars and killed tens of thousands of people.

Diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict have intensified since Taliban representatives began meeting with Khalilzad, an Afghan-born, US diplomat last year. Officials from the warring sides have met at least three times, but fighting has not subsided.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • Afghani
    Jan 8, 2019 - 8:19PM

    To be honest, it’s good that it’s canceled.
    As an Afghan, My legal government President is Ashraf Ghani. If he is not in negotiation then these talks are completely useless and must be canceled in the first place.Recommend

More in World