Hollywood project gave me fresh perspective: Bipasha

Published: June 12, 2011

MUMBAI:

Bengali beauty Bipasha Basu has completed a decade in the Hindi film industry and donned numerous roles. However, it was her upcoming international venture –  Singularity – that helped her get a fresh perspective on her craft. “Singularity has been a fantastic experience. I have been in Bollywood for a long time now, but this film gave me a completely fresh take towards acting,” said the 32-year-old actor in an interview.

“It just introduced me to a new kind of acting and a new kind of cinema, which for an artist is greatly rejuvenating and extremely necessary from time to time,” she added.

Basu stars as a Maratha warrior in the period film that is being helmed by Oscar-nominated filmmaker Roland Joffe. The movie also stars Abhay Deol and Hollywood star Josh Hartnett.

“The backdrop of the film is the Anglo-Maratha war in 18th-century colonial India. It’s basically a love story between a British soldier and a Maratha queen – the character I play,” she revealed.

The actor, who has worked in films like Ajnabee, Apaharan, Race and Bachna Ae Haseeno, among others, said Singularity just fell into her lap.

“Any actor would give their right arm to work with Joffe and for me it happened so easily. I kind of bumped into him and he just loved my voice. Next thing I know, I was cast in the lead role,” said Basu.

Basu has always been known for fitness and her perfect body. The actress has been itching to do an action role and her dream came true with Singularity and another upcoming film, Players. “Yes, I was looking forward to doing action roles and I’m so glad that I got an opportunity to do that in not one but two of my films. I’m looking forward to watching both on the big screen,” said the ex-model.

Basu will be seen in many much-awaited films this year. So would she call 2011 a very exciting and productive year for her?

“Every year has been very exciting for me. I try to reinvent myself as an artist every time I do a movie. One has to do these things in a cut-throat business such as ours,” the actress said.

Along with Singularity and Players, Bipasha was also seen in Dum Maaro Dum, which was her first release for the year.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 13th, 2011.

• Fighter
    Jun 13, 2011 - 8:57PM

Pakistani actors are much prettier than the Indians. am sure if given an opportunity they will be able to act much better. Our government should take lead to build our industry. Indians are making a lot money whereas we are wasting our talent pool. Recommend

• Bangash
    Jun 13, 2011 - 10:29PM

Bipasha is 32 !!!! near retirement then.Recommend

• Raj
    Jun 14, 2011 - 10:00AM

@Fighter : Prettiness is not a parameter for being a good actress. And beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Alternatively the more prettier a girl is the more she gets dumber(just joking)Recommend

• Billoo Bhaya
    Jun 14, 2011 - 10:18AM

She forget to mention that the British knocked the s… out of the Mahrattas. So it is the old adage of its time; whether the knife fell on the Tarbooz or the Tarbooz fell on the knife, the end result is the same. Call it love. Recommend

• Omar Haroon
    Jun 14, 2011 - 1:22PM

Interesting. Wonder how the film will turn out.

@Raj: For people like him prettiness is more than enough apparently. This kind of drawing-room talk about Paki girls being prettier than Indian girls never ceases to amaze me to be honest. I can’t help but wonder if such people are actually serious or joking. God help us Pakis if it’s the former.Recommend

• Ravindra
    Jun 14, 2011 - 2:03PM

do pakistani remember maratha / mughal period of history?Recommend

• Thinking
    Jun 14, 2011 - 10:00PM

@ Fighter – what an obnoxious comment.

@ Omar – what a smart comment. Always warms my heart to see that while India and Pakistan both have rude, obnoxious, and intolerant people like Fighter, there are plenty on both sides like you that will help create a peaceful, friendly future for our two great countries.Recommend

• Cronous
    Jun 15, 2011 - 8:26AM

“She forget to mention that the British knocked the s… out of the Mahrattas.”

The British knocked the s…. out of everyone in India in those days (Marathas, Tipu Sultan, Mughals, etc.).Recommend

• Billoo Bhaya
    Jun 15, 2011 - 12:03PM

@Cronous:
    You are right the British did beat the s… out of everybody and I am the first to blame all the Nawab’s, Maharajahs, especially the Moguls for the loss of India to the British. Mogul India was a Co-Dominion of the Muslims and Hindus who ruled the country jointly. Witness that Pandey was the first to cry for freedom in 1857. However, I was making a point about the movie in which B Basu is acting, directed by Roland Joffe maker of Woody Allen’s movies, that a British officer seduced a Mahrattan princess. Call it what you want love, etc., hence my use of Tarbooz anecdote. Well when your people (by that I mean both Muslims and Hindus as pre-1947 we were all Indians) have lost a military war, lost their country, then women folk end up as spoils of war. British were no saints and they screwed the best among us. We haven’t learnt history’s lesson even now. Still arguing amongst ourselves even on an issue as banal as a move??? Though I love Indian actresses. They are out of this world. Recommend

• dude
    Jun 15, 2011 - 12:58PM

no one match the british diplomacy and military power, technology and descipline, so everyone fall downRecommend

• Ali
    Jun 15, 2011 - 2:23PM

The goras are always going to show themselves in a good light… i wish the Indians come up with some really cool historical movies in English about historical India. Now especially the Indians have all the technology, great actors and the best music… acounter narrative has to be shown, why the world should only have a goras point of view in film?Recommend

More in Film