Fatima Bhutto flays Imran Khan’s ‘opportunistic’ politics

Published: October 12, 2018
Fatima Bhutto says there’s no conversation with women, empowerment of provinces in PTI chief’s politics. PHOTO COURTESY: THE GUARDIAN

Fatima Bhutto – former premier Benazir Bhutto’s niece – has strongly criticised the politics of Prime Minister Imran Khan terming it opportunistic and against the women empowerment.

“My criticism of Imran Khan’s politics has been that I don’t see any conversation with women in his politics. I don’t see a conversation that empowers the provinces. I see a lot of opportunism in it,” she said in an interview to NDTV earlier this week.

“We have a lot of cases of a lot of fear and intimidation and unfortunately I don’t really see that this government is taking any steps to reverse that. If anything its furthering that,” said the daughter of Benazir’s slain brother Murtaza Bhutto.

Fatima Bhutto criticises Melania Trump’s outfit choice during African tour

Fatima, unlike her cousin Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, has stayed away from politics, preferring writing instead. Her fifth book, a novel called “The Runaways” is likely to hit the shelves later this month.

“I was encouraged from a young age by my father to write and to read a lot. I don’t think it is a divorce from politics, I think a lot of what I write is very political,” she said.

“He’s a young man. He has been through a lot of trauma and violence. I hope he will be well and I wish him only well as a person. I prefer not to really comment on the politics of it all,” Fatima remarked when asked to comment about politics of her cousin Bilawal.

The young writer said she was averse to social media.

“Twitter has become so murky… It has become a platform for a lot of aggression and a lot of hate. Instagram I mean I don’t really understand what its redeeming qualities are because it is basically just people competing with each other and you know this terrible narcissistic one-upmanship. Facebook – I want nothing to do with it ever.”

This article originally appeared on NDTV website

• M.Emad
    Oct 12, 2018 - 2:05AM

“I don’t see a conversation that empowers the provinces”
    Madam more powers to provinces will disintegrate the Pakistani union. In fact we need in reintroduce some of the powers back to the federal government to strengthen the federation. Perhaps you should write about the great plunder of the Pppp decoits. Some of your blood relatives. Recommend

• Ghazal
    Oct 12, 2018 - 2:35AM

Firstly, she should come in Pakistan and contribute her life for the people of Pakistan specially those who respect her because of her family background then she has a right to censure about Pakistan policies and express her insight that what is good and what is bad…Recommend

• Sajjad
    Oct 12, 2018 - 5:45AM

Majority of sensible people stay away from politics. Recommend

• ABC
    Oct 12, 2018 - 9:14AM

Lol. Funny women, she should do stand ups Recommend

• salman
    Oct 12, 2018 - 10:08AM

no one cares what you say.Recommend

• Saeed Hunzai
    Oct 12, 2018 - 12:11PM

This article is just to promote her new book. Nothing else. These days Brand Imran Khan is used by many people to get fame.

I really like Fatima’s views about Social media. Strongly agree Recommend

• waqas ahmed
    Oct 12, 2018 - 2:16PM

i think she made a very fair comment . Opportunism is the order of the day . Recommend

• hassan khawri
    Oct 12, 2018 - 5:32PM

I found only one sensible person in Bhutto clan and she is Fatima Bhutto. What she says about tweeter, Instagram & Facebook are the point of pondering.Recommend

• Jehanzeb Idrees
    Oct 13, 2018 - 5:48AM

NFC proved that provinces were not ready for the powers that were already given to them hence more would further aggravate the situation.

Rest I don’t agree with her except for what she said about social media, it was spot-on. Left FB in 2009 so no twitter and instagram as well and I am quite happy about it. Recommend

• MATIN A KHAN
    Oct 13, 2018 - 11:36AM

I strongly disagree with the writer. You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.Recommend

• Pakistani
    Oct 14, 2018 - 4:55AM

I admire this woman.she must definitely have thought about entering politics but being the sensible one in the family she has stayed away. Look at what happened to Mr. ZA Bhutto, Benazir, Murtaza and Shah Nawaz as well as mrs.Nusrat Bhutto. This will be the fate of the Bhuttos until Zardari is in the political arena. Need I say more. Jaan hai to Jahan hai Long Live Pakistan.Recommend

• Azizul Falak
    Nov 17, 2018 - 10:29PM

Amongst your several criticisms, namely, “I don’t see any conversation with women in his (PM Imran Khan) politics”, when in fact several women have been involved in Politics within PTI, Ms Shireen Mazaari, to top them all right from PTI’s inception days. It’s surprising how little informed you are about the matter you’re criticizing about, Ms Fatima. Recommend

• Farhan
    Dec 20, 2018 - 12:04AM

Grandpa took a knife and cut the country into half. Why do she fails to mention the ill wills of her own ancestry.
    I wonder why we get blinded the by Charisma of Bhutto and not mention crimes done out of want of power and not a mistake.Recommend

-->