Would resign than compromise on dignity, honour: Najam Sethi

Published: August 10, 2018
PHOTO: AFP

PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Najam Sethi has vowed to leave his post as the head of the cricket affairs in the country than compromising over ‘dignity and honour’.

Speculations surrounding future of Sethi has intensified since the General Elections 2018 concluded, where Imran Khan-led Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PT) emerged as the single largest party.

Sethi’s position as PCB Chairman in danger

Sethi and Khan had a tricky relation ever since 2013 elections, where the latter accused the former for rigging in the province of Punjab where he was working as the caretaker chief minister.

Sethi filed a defamation case against Khan following the allegations and it was expected that if the 1992 World Cup-winning captain becomes the next prime minister, heads will roll in the PCB.

And the 70-year-old confirmed while talking to Daily Express that he is ready to go home if the new government don’t want him to continue as the head of PCB.

$70m compensation case: BCCI’s weak response hands PCB advantage

“I will only work with dignity and honour,” said Sethi. “If I feel like the new government does not want my services, I will go home without a second thought. I don’t know about the current status myself. All I want is someone from the government to come and let me know if they want me to continue as the head of PCB or not. If their response is they don’t want me here, I will go home.”

He added: “I won’t hide it that I am under pressure from sometime as there is uncertainty about my future, and that is the case inside the PCB as well where things are coming to standstill.”

Sethi is being credited for the success of starting the Pakistan Super League (PSL), a project which looked a dream before his arrival in the cricket board, and the Kasur-born journalist shared his concerns regarding the future of Pakistan’s own cash-rich T20 competition.

“I am just genuinely worried about the future of PSL,” he said. “It is going through an important transitional phase in my opinion and it needs stability. Any uncertainty will lead to reduction in financial benefits we can have from the league’s broadcasting rights, title sponsorships and other deals.”

Talking about why he hasn’t resigned from the post himself post PTI’s victory in the elections, Sethi said: “One of the reasons is PSL as I feel like a lot of work has to be done to make it more stable. I don’t know how other people will take this product forward. Then there is an ongoing $70 million compensation case against the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) as well. These are the things which are making me stay as I don’t want to go with things hanging in the middle.”

Sethi’s wife Jugnu Mohsin — also a journalist and now an elected MPA in Punjab —has expressed her desire in a talk show that she will support the party in power in the province, but the former PSL chairman believes it will have no connection with his position as the head of the cricket affairs in the country.

“We’ve four family members and all of them have their separate identity,” said Sethi. “So if my wife votes for PTI, it will make no difference to me and I won’t have a say in it. My family was never happy with me joining the PCB in first place.  I’ve never discussed anything with her about the resignation but maybe she is feeling herself that a big decision is coming.”

Sethi, who is famous for his blunt political views, went on to clear that he is eyeing a return to TV show, whereas he also complained that he did not received the kind of support from the media as we he was expecting.

“I don’t work according to the situation but I just do what I feel is right,” he said. “I am going to start my political show in the near future as well. Also, I must admit that I’ve not received the kind of support from the media which I was expecting. A lot of people say I did a good job, but not many are coming out and supporting me publically.”

• Syed
    Aug 10, 2018 - 12:23PM

I think Najam Sethi has done a tremendous job in bringing cricket to Pakistan and improving cricket in Pakistan.
    However, as in all CEO positions in corporate world, they last for few years only.
    I humbly suggest to you that prepare your handover doc and get them ready for next chief of cricket.
    And don’t feel bad about it at all. You have done what you could to improve and brought cricket to this new level.
    Thanks
    SyedRecommend

• AK
    Aug 10, 2018 - 12:48PM

Najam Sethi has done some very good work for cricket but also made some lousy political decisions.

No fan of Sethi. But I will certainly vote for him to continue with PCB.He has done a good job.

Imran Khan, as promised in his post-election speech, should not resort to vindictiveness. My future vote for IK will be determined by his performance, political maturity and eschewing primitive style politics of revenge.Recommend

• Sudha
    Aug 10, 2018 - 1:44PM

Najam Sethi must go if PTI chairman Imran Khan does not like him. What is the point in giving interviews and staying back? All his reasons for holding to his seat are baseless. He must leave in honor. Recommend

• Sadia anwar
    Aug 10, 2018 - 1:56PM

Unfortunately it’s narrow minded people like yourself who do not want India to play Pakistan. No one is begging for anything. The reason India doesn’t want to play a series with Pakistan is because it’s mainly held in Dubai. Therefore any money to be made with tv rights etc would not be beneficial to India as they would not have full autonomy over it.
    Also by ICC laws we are required to play your country ,which we do not have an issue with but your government obviously does. Hence the reason why we’re claiming compensation.
    The only hatred which is being spread is from your politicians and people like you . Ask the Indian team if they have an issue with playing Pakistan !! I think you’ll find they have very different views to yours ✌️️Recommend

• Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany
    Aug 10, 2018 - 2:06PM

Making such uncalled for statements hinting at the past and connecting it to the future is a sign of weakness and insecurity. Has nothing to do with dignity and pride. It would have shown character when he had waited till IK had taken over and then resigned without waiting to be thrown out. I will, however, say one thing that Imran will surely give the devil his due. Recommend

• Shakil
    Aug 10, 2018 - 2:44PM

How would PTI or Imran can forgive you what you have done to them in Elections 2013? only that feat Sharifs landed you in PCB as you don’t have any credentials for Cricket top job!

Dignity? dignified people don’t do what you have done, from Bhutto team to Musharraf team and then to Sharifs! certainly it ends here.Recommend

• Hasan
    Aug 10, 2018 - 3:35PM

From all practical appearances Sethi is mainly at the helm of PCB solely because of his close connections/affiliation with the previous “movers and shakers” in Islamabad.

Now that they are gone, he should simply resign, rather than postulate about preserving his dignity and honor. Doing so makes it seem Sethi has none.Recommend

• Waseem.
    Aug 10, 2018 - 8:58PM

Not big fan of Najam Sethi but what he did for PCB is amazing if Imran truly believes in making Pakistan and institutes better, I don’t think he should fire him. Let good people work regardless of their faith, skin color, political affiliation, language they speak. This is what makes countries better and prosper. We utilize all the assets we have to make country better. We should not worry about their faith or political affiliation.
    But will Imran khan going to actually do it is another question. Recommend

• Farastad
    Aug 10, 2018 - 11:48PM

If he knew dignity and honor

he would have resigned by now.Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Sports