PESHAWAR: As a suicide blast claimed the lives of 20 people, including Awami National Party (ANP) leader and PK-78 candidate Haroon Bilour, at least eight of the 63 injured remain admitted to hospital. They are being provided treatment for critical injuries, doctors and hospital staff said.
The Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) administration on Wednesday said that it has discharged as many as 54 people who had been injured in the suicide bomb attack on Tuesday evening in Yakatoot area of Peshawar.
Of the eight critically injured, three are receiving treatment at the hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU).
“We received 13 bodies and 63 injured people,” LRH spokesperson Zulfiqar Baba Khel told The Express Tribune, adding that some bodies brought to the facility were taken away by their relatives after their particulars were recorded by the police.
He added that those whose bodies had been taken away by their relatives were later identified after lists were cross-checked with those of the police.
Asked about the condition of patients still under treatment at the hospital, he said that of the three currently in ICUs, one was extremely critical.
Apart from LRH, 13 injured people and a body were shifted to the Khyber Teaching Hospital (KTH) where the KTH media section said that at least one of the bodies they had received was a man who had succumbed while being transferred to the hospital.
He stated that 11 injured people had been discharged from the facility after providing them with treatment while two were still receiving treatment at the facility. He described the condition of these two patients as satisfactory.
Caretaker Health Minister Zafar Iqbal Bangash, meanwhile, visited LRH and inquired after the health of the injured people.
He said that the incident was being probed from different angles, adding that anyone who was injured and who could not be treated in the country, will be sent abroad for treatment by the government.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 12th, 2018.