People focused on how pretty I am, not my voice: Momina Mustehsan

Published: June 23, 2018
PHOTO: FILE

PHOTO: FILE

Momina Mustehsan recently released her first original track, Aaya Na Tu in collaboration with Indian singer, Arjun Kanungo.

The Afreen Afreen famed singer revealed to Hindustan Times that she vowed not to release any music until she became ‘more than just a pretty face.’

“I realised that everyone was only complimenting me for the way I looked. More than my voice, people focused on how pretty I am,” said the Awari singer.

PHOTO: MOMINA MUSTEHSAN/INSTAGRAM

PHOTO: MOMINA MUSTEHSAN/INSTAGRAM

“Everywhere I went people were like ‘arey, dekho kitni pyari ladki hai’. But I wanted to be known for something more than just my face. So, I decided that I won’t release any music till I change that image and be known for something more,” she continued.

“I started working for causes such as education and mental health, and also spoke about the role of women in Pakistan,” the 25-year-old added.

Mustehsan also made it to the Forbes list of 30 under 30 category this year, which further convinced her that she can go back to music.

PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/MOMINA MUSTEHSAN

PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/MOMINA MUSTEHSAN

“I want to be more than just a musician or an artist and I felt that I achieved that, with Forbes. I was ready to start a new chapter in my life,” she said, adding, “I got a call for Aaya Na Tu the same day that Forbes featured me in their list of 30 under 30. That day, I knew I had established myself as more than just a singer. So, we went ahead with the song.”

About her future plans, she says, “I’ll be releasing more music this year. I feel as a singer and musician, it’s my responsibility to talk about social issues, and you will hear about them in my music as well.”

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.

• F Khan
    Jun 23, 2018 - 11:23AM

Voice is just average. Recommend

• BrainBro
    Jun 23, 2018 - 12:18PM

I don’t get it. She’s average-looking. Perhaps above average for Pakistanis.Recommend

• beautician
    Jun 23, 2018 - 1:00PM

I agree. She is just average looking. Just perming your hair doesnt make you a beauty. Other facial features matter more. why is she being mian mithoo? lol Recommend

• qasim
    Jun 23, 2018 - 1:11PM

Not putting a 100mm makeup layer of your face will accomplish that if you want.Recommend

• Jee
    Jun 23, 2018 - 1:46PM

Must be really tough to accept compliments on your looks in addition to singing? These are the types of problems faced by our beloved celebrities. Yet somehow this exclusive group is supposed to be the moral compass and the voice for the masses. People should steer away from these false idols. Recommend

• habib
    Jun 23, 2018 - 8:18PM

She’s so full of herself. No you have a swollen face. You’re neither pretty nor do you have a good voice. Recommend

• Imran
    Jun 23, 2018 - 8:30PM

Thats because you hv a very ordinary voice!Recommend

• Hammad
    Jun 23, 2018 - 9:05PM

This is true. I have seen many ppl complimenting her looks more than her voice.Recommend

• AAM
    Jun 25, 2018 - 3:51PM

Well the smile she gave during the Coke Studio Version of Afreen Afreen was the only time she looked pretty and all the men went haywire over her, even her average voice sounded like the most beautiful voice ever. But when the so called beautiful dream started to wear off and everyone started to come back to their senses, they realized she is just normal looking with tons of makeup and have an average voice. But on a personal note, her smile is still pretty.Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.