Afghan Taliban launch fresh attacks as government ceasefire starts

By AFP
Published: June 12, 2018
SHARES
Email
An overnight ambush, kills the governor of Kohistan district in Faryab along with eight others. PHOTO: AFP

An overnight ambush, kills the governor of Kohistan district in Faryab along with eight others. PHOTO: AFP

KABUL: Taliban fighters killed a governor and took control of his district in northern Afghanistan as clashes broke out across the country, officials said on Tuesday, accusing the militants of defying the start of a government ceasefire with them.

There was intense fighting between Afghan security forces and Taliban gunmen in the northern provinces of Faryab and Sari Pul, with officials reporting an unspecified number of casualties on both sides.

The governor of Kohistan district in Faryab was killed along with eight others in an ambush overnight, provincial governor spokesperson Jawed Bidar, blaming the Taliban.

He said the militants had seized control of the district. That was confirmed by provincial police chief Nabi Jan Mullah Khail.

Over a dozen dead, scores wounded in Kabul attack

The Taliban claimed the Faryab attack as well as one in Sayad district of neighbouring Sari Pul where provincial governor spokesperson Zabiullah Amani said fighting was still under way.

“Last night large numbers of Taliban attacked several villages the fighting continues and both sides have casualties,” Amani told AFP.

“We have asked for more reinforcements.”

A suicide bomber driving a Humvee and gunmen also attacked a district government building in the southeastern province of Ghazni overnight, killing five people, all police officers, and wounding 26, including the district governor, provincial governor spokesperson Arif Noori.

Noori blamed the Taliban for the attack, although no group has so far claimed responsibility.

“The ceasefire went on effect this morning,” interior ministry spokesperson Najib Danish said.

“We have ordered our forces to defend with all their power if they are attacked by an enemy that has no respect for anything.”

19 Afghan police killed in Taliban attack on base

The Taliban said on Saturday their fighters would stop attacking Afghan security forces but only for the first three days of Eid, the holiday capping Ramazan, that begins at the end of this week.

They said they would continue attacking US-led Nato troops.

If it holds, analysts had expressed cautious optimism that the agreements could help build trust between the government and the Taliban and lay the groundwork for peace talks.

But with myriad armed groups in Afghanistan, there are still fears that IS could continue to carry out attacks or even be helped by the Haqqani Network, a brutal arm of the Taliban that is suspected of partnering with IS on attacks in Kabul in the past.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • Ts
    Jun 13, 2018 - 11:45AM

    Afghan taliban should kickout usa from afghanistan asapRecommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in World