QUETTA: Taking suo motu notice of the killing of six labourers in Kharan district, Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar on Saturday issued a notice to Balochistan chief secretary and the inspector general of police and fixed the matter for hearing at the Supreme Court’s Quetta Registry on Friday, next week.
On Friday night, unidentified armed men shot dead six labourers, hailing from Okara district of Punjab, in the Lijjay mountainous area of Kharan, some 95km from the city. One labourer was also injured in the attack.
On Saturday, the Levies force registered a First Information Report (FIR) against unknown persons for killing the labourers.
The case was registered on behalf of Tanveer Ahmed, a friend of the slain labourers, under Sections 302, 324 and 7ATA at Levies Station Kharan.
Kharan Assistant Commissioner Mushtaq Ahmed said, “A case has been registered and hunt for terrorists involved in the gruesome attack on innocent labourers is under way.”
On Saturday morning, the bodies were sent back to Okara while the injured was being treated at civil hospital’s trauma centre.
So far no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but sources say that Baloch separatist groups often attack labourers from Punjab working in various corners of Balochistan.
The Levies force blamed the local contractor for taking the labourers to the mountainous area of Lijjay far from the city without giving any heads up.
“The labourers were installing a tower for a local telecommunication company without informing the security personnel,” said a Levies official.
Moreover, it has been reported that almost one-and-a-half years back, the district council chairman of the same area was kidnapped and his whereabouts are still unknown. (Additional input from APP)