NEW DELHI: Working out, getting enough sleep and following a healthy diet are all the obvious ways to lose weight. However, it can get a bit too much when you've got a newborn baby to handle. Don't lost hope though, weight loss is still possible - you just need a plan.
Mommies, take note! Nutritionist Ria Wahi suggests a list of foods to include in your diet and fitness expert Tarvin Dedha shares some quick workout routines.
1.Try and include as many fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Whole grains, lean proteins such as fish and soy foods, and lean meats are equally important to keep you energised and in control of your weight.
2. For starters, it's a good idea to eat a bowl of whole grain cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast. You can also try a hard boiled egg with some fresh sautéed mushrooms, low-fat cheese and plain greek yoghurt.
3. Introducing vitamin C in your diet can help with wound healing for mothers who delivered via C-section. Citrus fruits, tomatoes and potatoes are major contributors of vitamin C.
4. If you have the urge to snack, whole grain crackers with hummus or nuts are healthy options. Stash some in your purse in case you get a craving on the go.
5. Pelvic floor exercises help in strengthening those muscles, which support the pelvic organs. They weaken due to the birth process and should be exercised right after birth. It may seem a little tough to do this just after giving birth, however, try doing only as many as you can and later increase the duration as per your choice.
6. Pelvic tilts will help tone and strengthen your abdominal muscles and relieve backaches. Lie on your back with your knees bent. Tighten your stomach and hip muscles to tilt your pelvis, flatten your back against the floor and hold for a count of two to three seconds. Do not arch your back, stick out your abdomen or push with your feet to do this motion.
7. Ankle circles can enhance circulation. Make 10 circles with your ankles clockwise, then repeat counter-clockwise. Do it in different positions such as sitting or lying down. Repeat the pattern three to five times.
8. Walking is probably one of the easiest things you can do to help with your weight loss journey. Follow the instructions of the nursing staff to get out of bed and start walking as soon as possible.
Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.