Naqeebullah’s murder: JIT to submit its report to ATC today

Published: April 21, 2018
Email
Former Malir SSP Rao Anwar and Naqeebullah Mehsud. PHOTO: FILE

Former Malir SSP Rao Anwar and Naqeebullah Mehsud. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: The five-member Joint Investigation Team (JIT), constituted on order of the apex court to probe into Naqeebullah Mehsud’s extrajudicial killing, has completed its report which will be submitted to an anti-terrorism court (ATC) on April 21 [today].

The prime accused in the case, former SSP Rao Anwar – who surrendered before the Supreme Court last month after playing hide and seek with the authorities in the wake of Naqeeb’s murder in January – has also recorded his statement before the JIT and blamed his at least two subordinates for the killing.

SHC seeks reply from officials over Rao Anwar’s fake encounters

“They [Abbas Town police post in-charge Akbar Mallah and Faisal Mehmood] were my trusted subordinates but they have broken my trust,” a source quoted Anwar’s statement. “They picked up at least five people and later released four of them after taking at least Rs1.6 million.”

Sources said the JIT has also recorded statements of two of the four people who were abducted and released by the Rao Anwar’s team members. The JIT head Sindh Additional IG Aftab Pathan was unavailable for comments when contacted.

Meanwhile, there are reports that the JIT has agreed to Anwar’s demand not to appeal for his further remand. An officer from the investigating team told Express that Anwar’s one-month remand has ended and further remand will not be demanded.

He said a few days back the main accused and the members of his team were offered leniency in exchange for their cooperation.  This helped in the investigations and the team hopes that the absconders will also be arrested as soon as the case starts to proceed.

He said that after this offer, Rao Anwar began cooperating with the team and the investigating officer Dr Rizwan Ahmed will not appeal for further remand in the court. Ahmed said the absconding members of the team will be arrested in a month. About a dozen members of Anwar’s team are still at large.

Sindh IG admits failure in arresting Rao Anwar

Rao Anwar and his team went into hiding weeks after killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud and three others in a staged encounter at Karachi’s Shah Latif locality on January 13.  Anwar had earlier claimed that the men gunned down were terrorist associated with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and Islamic State.

A murder case with the clause of the anti-terrorism act was registered against SSP Anwar and his team after a three-member inquiry committee headed by Additional IG CTD Sanaullah Abbasi found them guilty.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • Ali khan
    Apr 21, 2018 - 9:30AM

    The report in my express tribune is not satisfactory. A young man has been murdered under the custody of police. This is not just done for extortion, there is something different which are being protected. Rao Anwaar should be given on physical remand to kpk police for honest intarrogation. Otherwise this man will get a clean chit from sindh police who are involved in extra judicial killing of the innocent people Recommend

More in Pakistan