Saba Qamar shares her humiliating experience at international airport

Published: January 19, 2018
PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/SABA QAMAR

PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/SABA QAMAR

Saba Qamar recently made headlines when she became the first Pakistani actress, in the last 25 years, to be nominated for a Filmfare for the Best Actor (Female) in a leading role category.

However, there is one more reason Saba has garnered attention. The starlet shared her traumatic experiences that she previously faced at several international airports.

While appearing on a local morning show, Saba recalled a humiliating incident when she was shooting for her Bollywood debut, Hindi Medium.

The Maat starlet said, “We boast about Pakistan. We say Pakistan Zindabad, Pakistan this and Pakistan that. But when we go out of the country and the way we are checked – I can’t tell you. I feel so humiliated the way I am frisked. I remember I went for a shoot to Tbilisi (Capital of Georgia) and my entire Indian crew was allowed to go but I was stopped because of my Pakistani passport. I was investigated and they took my interview before letting me go.”

She added, “That day I realised this is what our position is and this is where we stand.”

Saba has always been a big name in the Pakistani film and television industry – even before she joined the Irrfan Khan starrer in Bollywood. She has been parts of projects such as Udaan, BaaghiMaat in the past.

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.

• ethicalman
    Jan 19, 2018 - 9:09PM

Bollywood is full of leftists..so they will never tell a Pakistani that what it actually is…I’m glad that Pakis get to know about them through west. Recommend

• Pakistani
    Jan 19, 2018 - 9:56PM

It happened because Pak is on the restriction list among 4 other countries (not necessary to share the names) I went with family and freinds they interrogated us as well after completing the formalities they allowed us to proceed. I read same happened with one of the indian families as well and they deported the family (can be searched). This is a bitter truth our passport ranked very low at the moment but Insha Allah we will rise again.Recommend

• shah
    Jan 19, 2018 - 10:55PM

so they did an interview of you and then let you in…big deal.Recommend

• Jimmy
    Jan 20, 2018 - 7:49AM

These people behave like kings and queens in Pakistan and don’t want to be in line at the airports. Baby, there is no VVIP when u r at international airports. Just follow the rules as u are like any other Joe, Smith or more accurately any Lisa, Lucy etc.Recommend

• ullo bata
    Jan 20, 2018 - 11:04AM

Please spare us….u want VIP protocol at international airports?

My experience is:

UAE – Pakistanis, Indians, Bengalis, Srilanks – get same disresepct
    Oman – Pakistanis are better positioned than regional peers
    Europe- No serious discrimination any where
    Far East – No discrimination Recommend

• Azam
    Jan 22, 2018 - 12:27PM

Yeah true Jimmy we r addicted to vip treatment in our country so we expect same at inter airports but that is routine matter for every passport holder so nothing to worry and mentionRecommend

• pakistan
    Jan 23, 2018 - 9:12AM

@Jimmy: Read it again, she is saying Indians were allowed without any interview but she was interrogated, so where is that vvip protocol comeRecommend

More in Gossip