Facebook withdrawal kicks in

Published: May 25, 2010

KARACHI: The impact of access to Facebook being blocked has generated a massive response.

People who were obsessed with using the social networking website through their smartphones, and constantly updated their Facebook status, whether they were in their classrooms or at the office, are rather nostalgic . With cellular text messaging being one of the most receptive media to controversial issues in Pakistan, many people appreciate the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority blocking Facebook, while others are missing their favourite activities – liking, commenting, tagging, and updating on Facebook.

Amidst a number of serious text messages campaigning to report all sites promoting blasphemous content, a number of witty chain messages have rolled in, remembering the joys of the good old days of Facebook. We present the most popular chain messages doing the rounds:

1. (Sender) is very happy that Facebook is blocked :) … … … And I don’t know where to put this status now :(

2. Remember me? I was your best friend until you left me for your new love. There was a time I was closest to you. But then she took my place. Now your beloved has left you and has gone far away. But don’t cry. I am here and I am coming back to wipe your tears. You won’t miss her again because NOW I am your love, your friend and your confidante. Yours, Orkut

3. The third features a donkey made out of text characters. The statement above it reads: (Sender) has tagged a photo of you. The message is followed by a list of ‘feedbacks’ including “likes” and comments similar to those to photos posted on Facebook

Published in the Express Tribune, May 26th, 2010.

• Tanveer Khadim
    May 26, 2010 - 12:37AM

I must say that you put it very beautifully.
    Facbook lovers are really missing each n every aspect of that virtual life. It was so much easy to be in touch with your dear n near ones, your friends and your colleagues etc, than the pages and the groups that informs you about the updates and upcoming events. Facebook has really left many of its users alone.Recommend

• Muhammad Aayan
    May 26, 2010 - 3:46AM

@ Tanveer.. yeah man seriously u r absolutely right….Recommend

• Hamza Baloch
    May 26, 2010 - 2:48PM

I am not missing facebook, and enjoying tribune:)

and one thing more i always hate “Tagging” option of facebook! Recommend

• Imran
    May 26, 2010 - 4:43PM

The biggest wate of time is Facebook
    Good work

Lets open up u tube, i want to hear surt a rehmanRecommend

• Usman
    May 26, 2010 - 4:55PM

Its just a matter of time. Some other alternate will soon come up for facebook users.

I feel sorry for not being able to de-activate my account & writing the REASONS for the facebook admin.Recommend

• Anis Yousuf
    May 28, 2010 - 12:09AM

I believe, its one of the best thing ever done by, PTA. Seriously, Facebook was not only a waste of time, it also made our lives so public, even when a person is constipated, his facebook status would be updated accordingly..haah.. And imagine, my 7 years old nephew wasting his time over Facebook peeping into others profile and commenting on others activities rather than doing something better. Good going though,I am totally with PTA on this. :)Recommend

• zarmina
    May 28, 2010 - 12:51PM

I feel it’s sad that we brought such notice and fame to a page that would have died its own death. I dont use facebook, but I feel tolerance is what the prophet (peace be upon him) taught us.

It’s sad that we dont come out on the streets, to protest on issues that the Prophet (peace be upon him), would want us to protest about.Recommend

• May 31, 2010 - 12:08AM

Tanveer: well they can’t stop us from accessing Facebook :)

Usman: IF You want to de-activate your FB account, I can help you :P

Anis: IF we can’t guide our children about using the services, we should not blame the services.

Zarmina: Exactly, we Pakistanis promoted the page more than anyone did, ‘that’ page admin said that in a post since you don’t use Facebook else i would had given you the link of the snapshot i took.

All in All, regardless of the status updates the ones who suffered the most from the ban are the business people, NGOs and corporate entities who had their customer base and links all up through Facebook.

I don’t think they would lift the ban, but i do hope they do so they are able to resume their activities :)Recommend

More in Gossip