Days after a news regarding Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan’s marriage proposal to his spiritual guru Bushra Maneka broke, the cricketer-turned-politician finally broke his silence over the controversy.
Expressing annoyance over 'the vicious, gutter media campaign' being run against him, Khan blamed the deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif and owner of a private media house for creating the issue in a series of tweets on Tuesday.
1. For 3 days I have been wondering have I looted a bank; or money laundered bns in nation's wealth; or ordered a model-town-like killing spree; or revealed state secrets to India? I have done none of these but discovered I have committed a bigger crime: wanting to get married.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
2. The vicious, gutter media campaign led by NS & MSR mafia does not bother me as respect & humiliation come from Allah Almighty.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
Calling the family of Bushra ‘very conservative’, the PTI leader said he was more concerned about his children and the Maneka family, all of whom he said had been subjected to ‘this malicious campaign by NS & MSR’.
3. However, my concern is for my children & the very conservative family of Bushra begum, all of whom have been subjected to this malicious campaign by NS & MSR.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
4. NS & MSR can rest assured that their vicious campaign has only strengthened my resolve to fight them all the way.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
Khan said despite knowing ‘sordid personal lives’ of Sharif for the last 40 years, he would never stoop to the level of exposing those details.
5. I have known the Sharifs for 40 years and I know all their sordid personal lives but I would never stoop to the level of exposing these sordid details.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
6. All I ask of my well wishers and supporters is that they pray I find personal happiness which, except for a few years, I have been deprived of.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
According to a statement issued by the PTI spokesperson on January 7, Imran Khan sent a marriage proposal and Bushra Maneka sought time to consult her family, especially her children, before making any decision.
The statement insisted that the PTI chief would announce it publicly if Maneka accepted the marriage proposal.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ