KARACHI: Officials of the Sindh Employees' Social Security Institution (Sessi) and Sindh Workers Welfare Board (SWWB) were directed by Labour, Transport, Mass Transit and Information Minister Nasir Hussain Shah to increase efforts, on a priority basis, for the completion of their development projects without further delay for the benefit of the workers and their families.
Shah said this while holding a meeting on Monday to review the overall progress and performance of both the institutions at Sessi's head office. Labour Secretary Abdul Rasheed Solangi, Sessi Vice-Commissioner Shah Muhammad Shah, SWWB Secretary Asif Memon and other officials attended the meeting.
The labour minister said that the construction of 25-bed hospitals and other development works in Ghotki, Sukkur and Nooriabad must be carried out without further delay. The Ghotki deputy commissioner will be approached to allocate land for the purpose, he said.
Exclusive: Khaadi ripping off workers of over Rs100 million every year
He also directed that labour colonies be taken up for provision of all basic infrastructures and to rehabilitate them properly. New labour colonies will be setup in Ghotki and Ghaghar Phatak for which the respective deputy commissioners may be approached for the allocation of land immediately, he said.
Besides this, all school and colleges for the children of workers should be provided with furniture, necessary machinery and equipment and laboratories, he said.
The social security scheme should be extended to all workers, irrespective of gender to benefit and facilitate workers, the labour minister said, adding that qualifications and degrees of all employees should be verified from respective universities and boards and the process must be completed within one month.
Petitioner wants to withdraw plea against Senator Saeed Ghani
Solangi briefed the minister about the various steps taken and facilities provided so far for the benefit of workers and their families.
The progress and performance of the institutions' development work will be reviewed in the next meeting, the labour minister said, warning that no compromise will be made and stern action would be taken against negligent officials in this regard.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ