One of four cases: Ghazain granted interim bail in judge’s murder case

Published: September 25, 2017
Court directs Balochistan’s former home minister to submit surety bonds worth Rs1 million. PHOTO: EXPRESS / FILE

Court directs Balochistan’s former home minister to submit surety bonds worth Rs1 million. PHOTO: EXPRESS / FILE


Looks like Nawabzada Ghazain Marri, son of Baloch nationalist leader Nawab Khair Bakhsh Marri, is striving hard to get acquitted in all four cases pending against him in Quetta’s District and Sessions Court so that he could be eligible to join mainstream politics.

In a first, Ghazain managed to obtain interim bail in the high-profile murder case of Balochistan High Court Judge Justice Nawaz Marri from the sessions court on Monday.

District and Sessions Court Judge Justice Rashid Mehmood approved his interim bail order against surety bonds worth Rs1 million and adjourned the hearing till October 5.

Ghazain Marri arrested from Quetta airport

Justice Marri, a Balochistan High Court judge, was shot dead in a targeted attack on January 7, 2000, in the Zarghoon road area of Quetta. Ghazain, his brother Hyrbayar Marri and others were nominated as suspects in the murder case.

Ghazain is currently on a five-day remand in the custody of Levies force regarding the Kohlu blast case lodged against him in 2004.

The hearing of the Kohlu blast case will resume on September 29 when the remand ends.

A landmine blast in Kohlu’s Mavand tehsil in June 2004 had killed civilians. The Balochistan Liberation Army, of whom Ghazain is an alleged facilitator, had claimed responsibility for the attack.

Kohlu blast case: Ghazain remanded in Levies custody

A copy of a one page police report available with The Express Tribune states that two more cases of creating unrest are registered against Ghazain in separate police stations of Kohlu.

The copy did not carry the detailed nature of those cases.

Ghazain had served as the home minister of Balochistan and left for Dubai soon after a military operation was launched in the province against anti-state elements.

Upon his arrival at the Quetta International Airport on Friday after ending his 18-year-long self-exile, Ghazain was whisked away by security personnel.

He had arrived in Quetta from Dubai via flight number PK-G9. However, as soon as he stepped on to the Pakistani soil, he was taken into custody and shifted to an undisclosed location, presumably for preliminary interrogation.

Ghazain has been facing multiple cases. He had told the media in Dubai prior to his departure that he would face all the cases in Pakistan and join mainstream politics.

Facebook Conversations

More in Balochistan