CM warns of action if traffic remains choked

Says there must be free-flowing movement on roads during matches


Our Correspondent September 14, 2017
PHOTO: NNI

LAHORE: Minor changes were made to traffic route plans after the Punjab chief minister, all the way from London, took strict notice of the gridlocks on roads of the provincial metropolis.

Massive traffic jams were observed on Tuesday throughout the city after police blocked a section of Ferozpur Road and Main Boulevard for the Independence Cricket Cup. Suspension of traffic from these two main roads caused traffic jams on other main arteries of the metropolis such as Canal Road, Jail Road, Ferozpur Road, Khyaban-e- Jamia-Punjab. The CM took note of the issue and ordered traffic police to address the situation at the earliest.

Lahore traffic on the backfoot amid cricket fever 

After his instructions, police opened Main Boulevard till Centre Point for motorists coming from Garden Town to head towards Cantonment, Gulberg and Defence. They also increased the number of wardens on points that were facing continuous jams. Main Boulevard was blocked for traffic at around 4pm, giving motorists an extra half-an-hour to pass through. These changes provided some relief from the paralysing traffic jams.



Shehbaz, not named earlier on Wednesday, ordered the police administration to make all necessary arrangement to keep the flow of traffic moving during the matches between the World XI and Pakistan XI.

'Lahore to become e-ticketing zone in a month'

“Similarly, alternative routes should be given proper projection so that the people do not face any difficulty. The effective traffic plan should be implemented in letter and spirit and the relevant officials should remain in the field to ensure the flow of traffic,” he said.

The CM said the trouble of the people is, in fact, his trouble.

“I have got to see the traffic flow at any cost. The officials concerned must realise that I will not listen to any excuses and if any complaint is raised, action will be taken against the staff,” concluded the chief minister.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 14th, 2017.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ