10 things I hate about dieting

Published: March 29, 2011
Not losing any weight. And I don’t feel healthy either, I just feel dead and hungry.

1.  Not losing any weight. Don’t tell me not to be  discouraged because I am. And I don’t feel healthy either, I just feel dead and hungry.

2.   The in-between clothing stage. Should I throw away the loose jeans and t-shirts or should I hold on to them — just in case?

3.   Getting insensitive diet advice from physically fit  people. I know they’re just trying to be helpful and encouraging, but the foe-creating retorts that come to mind as they blabber on about how easy it is for them  to lose weight are difficult to keep zipped up.

4.  Waiting for someone, anyone, to say: “Have you lost weight?” and being able to say in return, “Why yes I have, two whole pounds! Thank you for noticing.”

5.   Planning what I am going to eat before I eat it. I realise that eating on a whim is not the best way to diet (and eating that way is probably responsible for me having to be on a diet in the first place), but I am after all a growing man who needs to know that he can have his impulsive steak and mashed potatoes without feeling guilty about it.

6.   Weighing myself. Even more so in front of others.

7.   Watching my weight go down one day (because I read the scale myself) and watching it climb up the very next (because someone else read it for me).

8.   Looking forward to the day that I will be at my “goal weight” and realising that I have to continue with this horrendous diet in order to “maintain” that goal weight. It’s not a nice feeling knowing I’ll never actually be “off” my diet again. It is my life… for the rest of my life… which, if I don’t diet, won’t be as long as I would like!

9.   Watching physically fit people around me eat and enjoy everything I can’t eat.

10.  And especially… eating less and exercising more.

Published in The Express Tribune, Sunday Magazine, March 27th, 2011.

• Sana
    Mar 29, 2011 - 2:47PM

The story of my life…!!!Recommend

• Mar 29, 2011 - 2:49PM

Poor you. I don’t know if I am among the lucky ones or unlucky, depends upon perception I guess. My weight doesn’t increase, irrespective of my diet. I’ll be 25 this year and I have never crossed 60 kg mark. I eat any kind of food, be it steak, biryani, qorma, fast food or simple daal chawal … it doesn’t affect my physique at all.
    But having said that, it is also to be considered that I have constantly undesirable lower-end BMI ratio and I am unable to keep up with more physically fit people. It’s always difficult for me to be part of furniture-movement at home, on average have lower stamina compared with other team mates and I look more like a hanger in a suit.Recommend

• Ahmer K
    Mar 29, 2011 - 3:02PM

I can relate to all 10 points on so many different levels! Thanks for putting this down on paper (or website, whatever!)
    I’m going to print it out and stick it on my bedroom door! Recommend

• Dia
    Mar 29, 2011 - 3:16PM

Saad I am surprised how articulately you have expressed my grief :(Recommend

• Saad
    Mar 29, 2011 - 3:31PM

What the heck.. leave the diet.. ENJOY LIFE …!!!Recommend

• Mar 29, 2011 - 4:23PM

Dieting works more than working out but its better if you carry on both together. Keep dieting, you will loose weight, it may take longer but it will work.Recommend

• ani
    Mar 30, 2011 - 11:57AM

Foe the strugglinh weight watchers with a sense of humor. Just 9 not TEN.

you live to eat while others eat to live
    you bitch like someone asked you to eat the forest in one sitting – a tree would be alright!
    you lie about your weight and expect everyone else to lie to suppport your lies
    you are always out of style. either clothes are camel-toed into your *ss or the whale in you is trying to swim out.
    you can’t speak up against your nagging whoever but with no effort can swallow a quarter pounder
    you can’t lose weight because every meal is an easter egg hunt. excpet you ain’t no bunny as much as it is funny
    you complain you can’t see your toes – how could you! LOL. But…
    you think you are not fat – it is purely out of ‘courtsey’ that airlines offer you two seats
    you have mastered the art of letting go – look at yourself!

• Saad
    Mar 31, 2011 - 9:43PM

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth here!Recommend

• Azeem Shafique Baig
    Apr 6, 2011 - 11:58AM

coooooooooooollllllllll…………………………..Recommend

• Sana
    May 26, 2011 - 9:08PM

Did you consult a dietitian? maybe you should let professionals do their job ;)Recommend

More in Food