St Joseph’s Convent turns 150 years old

Published: March 20, 2011

Girls perform at the Feast Day celebrated by St Joseph's Convent School. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Girls perform at the Feast Day celebrated by St Joseph's Convent School. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Urdu teacher Sualeha Siddiqui. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Sr Margaret with Ms Seema, the Islamic studies teacher. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS SJC Cambridge section headmistress Naseema Kapadia offering tea. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS
Scripture teacher Sr Margaret Rodrigues with Mrs Kapadia. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Nina Sethna and Muna Kazi in the Cambridge staffroom. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Ms Soares presenting the card to Principal Sr Julie Pacheco. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Ms Siddiqui with Aileen Soares. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Mrs Suroor Akbar. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Fauzia Fikree (in pink) with Mrs Zaman. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Faiza Kazi welcoming the students to the Feast Day celebrations. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS Students in the front row of the audience at Feast Day performances at St Joseph’s Convent High School on Saturday. The school has started a year of celebrations to mark its 150th year. PHOTO: NEFER SEHGAL/EXPRESS
KARACHI:

It has been 150 years. Quite unbelievable when I hear it at first. But then I calculate – 1862 to 2011 – yes, it has indeed.

Going back to St Joseph’s Convent High School in Saddar on Saturday to celebrate Feast Day makes me feel proud of the milestones it has achieved.

Passing by the staff room reminds me of how I shuddered at its saloon-bar swing-door entrance. Abdullah’s (late) canteen brings back the memory of milk toffee, aloo bukhara, Pakola in a plastic bag, Slims chips.

Some things remain the same 150 years down the road. The main hall is still crammed. “The sardine effect,” quips Nina Sethna, the Cambridge biology and Pakistan Studies teacher. Backstage is as noisy as ever with a control freak from every class yelling to make sure everything’s perfect. And then, I hear a shrill whistle. Geography’s Suroor Akbar, who taught sports for years, still uses the ultimate weapon to keep the garrulous girls quiet. And it still works.

At the hall, English language and literature teacher Faiza Kazi welcomes everyone to the Feast Day celebrations. “You girls are very lucky that you are students while the school turns 150,” she says with her unique pronunciation of 50 – fif’Teh.

In a simple ceremony Math teacher Aileen Soares presents a card to Sr Zinia Pinto – who was principal for 30 years – and Urdu teacher Sabira Siddiqui comes forward with a bouquet of flowers. “You can see the flowers are blue, the school’s colour,” Ms Kazi remarks.

The school’s principal Sr Julie Pacheco gives priceless information: “This school started on March 18, 150 years ago, with just 10 students, many of who didn’t know how to write with ink.” These celebrations will continue all year long to commemorate the extraordinary journey.

Feast Day to most of us just meant free chips and juice. This year, however, transparent pencil cases and pens imprinted with the school’s motto “Forward God Helping” were also distributed.

But it was when the festivities begin that it fully hits me how times have changed. Girls from classes 6 and 7 peform awkward sanitised bump-and-grind routines to hip hop and RnB. The entire audience of long-haired, plain-faced girls in Gizri stone-coloured uniforms bursts into the chorus. I had never thought I’d hear Usher’s “OMG” and “Boom Boom Pow” by the Black Eyed Peas being played at the Convent. For all her years, Ms Siddiqui is unfazed. “The girls are more confident now,” she serenely explains.

Skits and adaptations of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream are played by the younger sections. The characters, all short, strain to project their voices to the microphones dangling from the rafters. Girls in skinny jeans slip into the male characters. One mischievious class decides to poke fun at the other schools in the city, Baconhouse, Ammah Farsi, Karachi Punctuation School.

Towards the end, the school song is sung with girls raising their arms enthusiastically for the last line, “We’ll always have a special thought for our dear convent home.” As the last note dies off, hooting and clapping breaks out. I look around confused. That was sacrilegious in my time.

Things have changed. Apart from the hip hop, girls now wear identification cards around their necks, security cameras have been installed and the staffroom is locked when the teachers leave the room. But the zealots in the brown uniforms have the same drive and hopefully will continue to for the next 150 years.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 20th, 2011.

Correction: March 20, 2011

An earlier version of the article incorrectly stated the date of St Joseph’s establishment was 1856.

• Aftab Kenneth Wilson
    Mar 20, 2011 - 1:58PM

Congrats to all associated (Present/past) with St. Joseph Convent on the feast of their Patron. Both St. Patrick and St. Joseph have played a major role in promoting quality education in Karachi (Sindh). All credit goes to the Christian Community (Catholics) and full support from the government whether in center or province. Recommend

• Durriya Kazi
    Mar 20, 2011 - 3:23PM

I feel privileged to call myself a St Josephine, along with my aunts, my sisters, my daughters and my nieces. St Joseph’s school has been educating young women for 150 years and all of Pakistan’s 63 years, women who have contributed to society in remarkable ways, as educators, bankers, journalists, lawyers, politicians, doctors and as enlightened mothers.
    St Joseph’s taught us that our true gifts were our minds and our values, not privilege and appearance.
    Thank you, Sisters of the Cross, and all the wonderful and dedicated teachers, who set the strong foundations on which our lives have been built. Recommend

• Hamna Adil Jamshed
    Mar 20, 2011 - 4:38PM

I am so glad to be in St.Joseph convent when it turned 150.glad to be a Josephien!! i am in grade 6 cambridge and i am glad to be taught by amazing teachers like ms.Akbar,ms.Pathan & ms.Fikiree.glad to be sitting in St.Joseph i know how many girls dream to be a Josephien,so i am glad to be such a lucky girl.This is a school whose teachers just dont come and give us work and go or tell us to copy it from the blackboard but the teachers come and explain,joke with us and inform us.we dont just sit and listen we r allowed to give our opinion and change ideas.
    I think this the ideal school and every girl is the world should be luck enough to get a cahnce to study in this school.This school had a large effect on me and people who see me after years can not tell that i am the same girl.
    Thank you God to make be lucky enough!I LOVE ST.JOSEPH CONVENT.

• Javed Afridi
    Mar 20, 2011 - 5:05PM

I am confused, is it 150 that you said or 155?Recommend

• Rabeya Jawaid
    Mar 20, 2011 - 5:16PM

I feel so proud to be a Josephine. I get the greatest inspiration from the school and the teachers and sisters will be my mentors for life. The school made me aware of the world, shaped my values and ideas, allowed me to set my priorities right and gave me everything I needed to stand up on my feet and face the world. Long live St. Josephs.Recommend

• Muna Kazi Pathan
    Mar 20, 2011 - 6:42PM

I am proud to be a student and teacher at St. Joseph’s Convent School. I am happy to be teaching alongside some of my own mentors and hope to be able to achieve even a half of their excellent teaching successes, and pass on the good values I was taught. I am lucky enough to be teaching my own daughters at this very institution and I can find no better school to call my home. Recommend

• Happy Birthday SJC!
    Mar 20, 2011 - 9:07PM

Ahhhh that colonial feel…I used to pick up my sisters everyday from Saint Josephs(as I used to be in another convent)…but I still loved that place! Abdullah’s canteen…the milk toffees,coke in a plastic bag and the three coloured candies that stuck to the teeth!:)…classrooms with names of flowers…it was all beautiful!…So sorry to hear Abdullah is no more:(….It’s a wonderful institution with lots of history and great teachers….I am sure there are 3 generations in karachi who went to this school.Hope it lives for 150 more!Recommend

• 10th
    Mar 20, 2011 - 11:33PM

Why exactly does a newspaper carry such articles?Recommend

• Talha
    Mar 21, 2011 - 12:18AM

Mt School St. Michael’s Convent School is better.

St Joseph is for girls.Recommend

• Aqusa Farooqui
    Mar 21, 2011 - 1:13AM

Thank you Neha, for writing about SJC’s 150th birthday! I looked through all the pictures, my teachers, our teachers….the same staff room, corridors! This list is endless, and so is my loyalty to SJC. I am where I am today because of my years at SJC, I owe my convent home a lot! It makes me so proud to see SJC students succeeding in so many fields, so many people have recently matched residencies in top US universities (which is extremely difficult for people who’ve studied here!)… I feel a unique sense of identification, a belonging. I wish SJC and its staff many many more happy birthdays for the school. And yes, much has changed, the songs are one thing, what surprised me was a recent fashion shoot that took place right outside the cambridge staff room!Recommend

• Dona Nazareth Andrew
    Mar 21, 2011 - 3:19AM

St. Joseph’s Covent our School and childhood home Congratulations on your 150 years – Proud to have been one of your members. Thank you Sr. Terror Zinia (LOL) for making us what we are today!!Recommend

• Mar 21, 2011 - 5:50AM

Thank you for this trip down memory lane. SJC rocks!!Recommend

• Zeenat Hassan
    Mar 21, 2011 - 6:26AM

@10th- Why exactly does a newspaper carry such articles?
    The answer is simple to educate siimpletons like you that this newspaper reports the good news with the bad. Also the acheivement in higher education has produced great citizens of Pakistan that have excelled in various fields. Recommend

• Kehkashan Shafqat
    Mar 21, 2011 - 8:56AM

miss my school sooo much!!!proud to hv been a part of it=))Recommend

• ex josephine
    Mar 21, 2011 - 9:08AM

@Talha:
    May be to you only, but in the eyes of the ex’s all over the world St Joseph’s is “The Best”.
    and you will never know. I am proud to have achieved my academic from St Joseph’s Catholic Convent School for Girls only. So “Talha” learn to live with itRecommend

• Sehr Nasir
    Mar 21, 2011 - 9:54AM

Just reading few lines of this article brought all my memories of my beautiful ten years in SJC in front of my eyes. I had brilliant teachers and made some really nice friends :)

I congratulate all the Teachers and Sisters for doing a wonderful job!!!

And Thank you Neha for letting us relive the SJC memories in few words.Recommend

• Jodi Menezes
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:15AM

“Karachi Punctuation School” hahaha. I like their sense of humour. Did there happen to be any Grammarians in the audience?
    On a more serious note, having studied at St. Joseph’s Convent, is like being part of the royal family! We can always hold our head up high and walk with everlasting pride :)Recommend

• Sarah
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:24AM

Man I hated the place! With all the class room bullies and the strict, domineering teachers. Nothing was fun!Recommend

• Bats
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:51AM

Oh wow, this is so amazing! I feel so proud to have been an ex-student! We acted in plays, we frequented Mrs. Wellows and ate so much of her milk toffee, we loved every little bit of school!

I really miss our departed Abullah :(Recommend

• Shafaq Mustafa
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:59AM

Proud to be St. Josephian :)
    Best of luck.Recommend

• Bats
    Mar 21, 2011 - 11:00AM

One thing St. Joeseph’s did was that it trained us for the world. Our teachers equipped us with the best education beyond the text book. We were allowed to express ourselves, question openly, participate actively. We were taught to think for ourselves and develop skills to help us cope at every level of education ahead.I find that sorely lacking in any other institution today!

We always knew more, and had read more literature that most people our age. We were eloquent in our speech and our writing, with a style sophisticated and more developed than our peers.

Respect, even in familiarity, was one of the values strongly ingrained in us. We learned to respect our teachers as our ultimate guides, we learned respect each other, in our short coming and our limitations. We learned to forgive and forget, and work towards larger things in life.

St. Joeseph’s really broadened our horizons. I am the person I am today, because of the grooming I received – the character building classes we attended – and above all, the empowerment to think for myself. Recommend

• Sara Rabia
    Mar 21, 2011 - 11:34AM

I think Faiza Kazi is still obsessed with her lunacy, so many lives she has messed with.
    Such schools should be abolished.Recommend

• Anum Altaf
    Mar 21, 2011 - 12:07PM

although i am a patrician but having st. josephs right next to my school i am much aware of the rich tradition the school carries.. i am happy that today we still have convent schools like st.patricks, st.josephs, mama parsi and st. micheals.. these schools truly deliever quality education and they make sure the students are aware of the country’s history and our culture.. congratulations ST.Josephs i hope the schools stay with us forever! = )Recommend

• 10th
    Mar 21, 2011 - 1:08PM

@Zeenat Hassan: The answer is simple to educate siimpletons like you that this newspaper reports the good news with the bad. Also the acheivement in higher education has produced great citizens of Pakistan that have excelled in various fields.

Talking about Pakola in plastic bags, a teacher’s unique pronunciation, and methods of keeping children quite doesn’t seem like ‘achievement in higher education”

This is a newspaper we’re talking about – not a blog. It’s supposed to focus on the ceremony, not the childhood memories it brought. To be honest, this seems like something a 12 year old would write for their English essay.Recommend

• Nida Siddiqui
    Mar 21, 2011 - 1:16PM

During my student years in St. Joseph’s, I couldn’t wait to get out of the place. It was only after I left the hallowed halls of the school that I began to realize the huge change that SJC spurred in me.
    Thank you to all the teachers who worked hard to get us to where we are today. Believe me, with my batch it wasn’t so easy. Most importantly, thank you Neha, for taking me back to Wellow’s and her “hey you girlie” remarks. So proud to be St. Josephian :)Recommend

• Sheraryar X
    Mar 21, 2011 - 1:53PM

@Sara Rabia:
    “I think Faiza Kazi is still obsessed with her lunacy”
    Wait what does that mean?Recommend

• Shazaf Fatima
    Mar 21, 2011 - 2:55PM

Proud to be a St. Josephine, then and now. The teachers mentioned are institutions in themselves. A great empty piece missing in the form of Ms. Senior Fikree. She will always be missed.Recommend

• Hira Ashfaq
    Mar 21, 2011 - 3:07PM

@10th:
    To increase readership, generate awareness & pay homage to such an amazing institution after 150 years of service! Recommend

• Zahra shah
    Mar 21, 2011 - 3:12PM

Beautifully said neha…uv done us all a favour by capturing it so well!Recommend

• Dr.Nighat Malik
    Mar 21, 2011 - 3:32PM

I think the writer has been unnecessarily mean to the efforts of the young girls who took time out from their busy studies and worked so hard. The freshness and innocence of youth is beauty enough. I found the comment about plain faces in bad taste .Recommend

• Bismah Mughal
    Mar 21, 2011 - 4:26PM

This reminds me of my days in that school, I just wish I hadn’t switched.I now realize that this school without any doubts really is the best in Pakistan.You will always have a very special place in my heart. Even if I don’t go there, I still am a very proud Josephine and I always will be.Recommend

• ayesha
    Mar 21, 2011 - 5:04PM

awsome day….!!!Recommend

• Najia Ghani
    Mar 21, 2011 - 5:21PM

Being an ex-student myself it makes me proud to see my daughter’s picture in an article published on SJC’s 150th birthday celebrations.Forward God Helping.Recommend

• Zehra Zaidi Naqvi
    Mar 21, 2011 - 6:10PM

Thinking back of my years at St. Joseph’s Convent always triggers feelings of pride and joy.

If I close my eyes even today, I can still hear all the typical sounds of the birds chirping outside our classroom windows, the students in the hallways in walking single file and the quiet whispers in classroom warning each other that Terror (Sister Zenia Pinto) is coming!
    I still love that the classrooms were named after flowers. The milk toffees at the Bello’s canteen were unique as were the old school buses that used the front crank bars to start the engines!

We take pride in the way we speak, in what is known as the “Convent accent” and can be identified in a group instantly! St.Joseph taught us not only the academics but also how to be cultured and refined. The standard of education was second to none. Thank you Sister Zenia Pinto and all the teachers through the years for all your dedication and hard work!

Let us all cherish this priceless institution that has molded the lives of so many women and made them into independent thinkers, professionals and amazing mothers. I say it to all the people I meet here in Michigan with pride that “I AM A JOSEPHINE!” Recommend

• Mahim Maher
    Mar 21, 2011 - 6:38PM

At the Tribune we do stories like this because the good work of institutions that have stood the test of time, should be highlighted. We do the stories because they are fun as well, happy stories that speak of achievement, dedication. We do stories about Karachi’s history whenever we can. SJC means a lot to generations of women and their families. The ceremony itself was really simple. Plus, it is bureaucratic to just report on a ceremony; what about the reality of a place, its sights, smells and memories? If it doesn’t interest some readers, then they can flip to any of our other sections and ignore the story.Recommend

• Mar 21, 2011 - 7:04PM

Proud to be a Josephine! with my mom, myself and both my daughters having studied there, we all feel especially blessed for how this institution enriched our lives.
    God’s blessing shower down on all
    Who through its portals dear
    Leave well-equipped to meet the call of
    Life each passing year!
    AmenRecommend

• Irene
    Mar 21, 2011 - 7:06PM

Congratulations!!!! – your article brought back many many happy memories. I remember the Centenary celebrations like it was yesterday- and now 150. Proud to be a Josephine!!!Recommend

• Pareesa Ghani
    Mar 21, 2011 - 7:29PM

Congratulations St. Joseph’s! Hope this amazing school remains till the end of time! I’m so proud to be a St. Josephine and to be taught by wonderful teachers who are truly dedicated to their work.Recommend

• Marylou Andrew
    Mar 21, 2011 - 7:37PM

Thank you for writing this article! This brought back lots of good memories… like you, I cannot believe the girls dancing to The Black Eyed Peas and Usher!!! Times sure have changed, which is not necessarily a bad thing!!Recommend

• Fizzah Mansoor
    Mar 21, 2011 - 7:45PM

I remember report day in class 5,the day i was feeling that my entire life depended on a small square envelope which would announce that i had passed the Cambridge exam which offered you liecense to study in the O levels…..i remember when i skipped for joy….St Joseph has given me more than anything…it has given me confidence and the true meaning of life…the outstanding teachers have pushed me back on the trail and shown me the way i should live and enjoy life…my friends,prefects and above all,teachers like Mrs Pathan,Mrs Fikri,Mrs Akbar and of course,all my primary school teachers have given me the courage to face the difficulties and joys of this world.My mom,who studied at St Joseph’s College has given me as much as everyone else…and may i also pay respect to my prefects and friends who have helped me along this way…LONG LIVE ST JOSEPH’S CONVENT!!!Recommend

• Mar 21, 2011 - 7:53PM

Wow – what a trip down memory lane. Only last week we had a visit by Zia Moheyuddin and I was reminding him of the time he came to St. Josephs (as a youg man fresh off Lawrence of Arabia) and how all hell broke loose and Sister Emily was cool as a cucumber. Thank you St. Josephs Convent for some of the best times of my life – The Rivals, debates and the canteen. Miss you all. Recommend

• Ron(Indian)
    Mar 21, 2011 - 8:00PM

Christens always gave the best educational institutes to this subcontinent. Proud to be an indian christen.. Thanks. Recommend

• Anoushey Agha
    Mar 21, 2011 - 8:17PM

I am proud to call my self a St. Josephine. I still love and and share with my family all the memorable memories this school as given me. I wish St. Joseph convent school get to see many many 150 yrs in the future.Recommend

• Rock's CuZ
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:04PM

The way I see it, you celebrate 150 years and the highlight of the evening was making fun of other schools !!!! So glad that St. Joseph’s stands for dignity, values, morals and principles.Recommend

• Khadija
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:11PM

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! miss the good old days and so proud to be a Josephian.Recommend

• Firoozeh Mogal
    Mar 21, 2011 - 10:52PM

Proud to be a Josephian. Honor and Glory to our School, Thruout the years to come…… I can go on. Nostalgic feeling.Spent the best days of my life with my friends and teachers. Our teachers are institutions in themselves. Thank you for making me what I am today.Recommend

• Sheba Najmi
    Mar 22, 2011 - 12:12AM

I owe my intellect and where I am today to SJC. Without a doubt, those were some of the most remarkable years of my life. And 16 years later, I still dream of SJC frequently. We miss you, Ms. S. Fikree. Recommend

• Sashika Mendis
    Mar 22, 2011 - 2:20AM

Thanks Neha for writing this lovely article; it really transported me down memory lane and the pictures, were a bonus. I’m very proud to be a Josephian and a very special thanks to the knowledge and wisdom imparted to me by these teachers and nuns that I have achieved so much in my life today. God bless you all and may St. Joseph’s continue on with the tradition for years to come.Recommend

• Marya Abbasi
    Mar 22, 2011 - 2:50AM

Thank you for a lovely article, it bought all the memories back. I was in 2nd grade when the school turned 125 years and was very proud to be apart of it, still am. It is very hard to maintain such amazing standards over the years, hats off to the entire staff and congratulations for turning 150. For the school its like time has stood still, once you are inside the gates you are in an another world. Wishing St.Joseph’s all the best for the next 150 years. Recommend

• Teresa Mendes
    Mar 22, 2011 - 3:43AM

I am so very proud to be a part of this great school – and also to have married the Art Teacher’s (Sr. Casilda later changed to her original name Sr. Helen Fernandes) nephew. Here’s to another 500 more successful years.Recommend

• Joan Fernandes
    Mar 22, 2011 - 5:01AM

Hello from Canada,

Happy 150 years, WOW!!!
    Looking at the girls in their uniforms and coloured dupatta’s brings back memories i hold very near and dear. I am so proud to have been a St Josephs Convent High School Student. Thank you Sr Theresa Rose, Miss Leiong, Miss Khan (Art Teacher), Miss Sidiqqi (Sindhi Teacher),Miss Dean, Ms Carvalho to only name a few Teachers of my time at St Joseph’s.

THANK YOU ALL :) Keep up the great work!!
    JoanRecommend

• fatima
    Mar 22, 2011 - 6:22AM

Those were the days my friends,I thought they’d never end….Ahhh the beautiful School years at SJCS.I am what I am today today because of my wonderful school and the great teachers.Long live my wonderful School.Recommend

• noor zahra ayaz
    Mar 22, 2011 - 6:26AM

i am so glad that i came from foundation to SJC. I love it here and espeically it’s feast day and i am so proud to be called a josephian.Recommend

• Ayesha Saleem
    Mar 22, 2011 - 7:29AM

I am so proud to have graduated from SJC!! I love this school forever and always! and OH MY GOD!! my teachers are still there!! last I saw them was 1997!!! miss you all xoxo. Recommend

• Cassandra
    Mar 22, 2011 - 9:21AM

Thank you for writing this article! This has surely brought back lots of good memories. I remember the Centenary celebrations like it was yesterday- and now 150 years. I’m so proud to be a Josephian. Recommend

• Audrey Correa (nee Hope)
    Mar 22, 2011 - 9:30AM

happy birthday St. Joseph’s Convent. Still remember Sr. Terror Zina as we did in the good old days that cannot be forgotten, where we would see Sr. Terror is coming, and we would charge back to class I can go on and on and on Nostalgic feeling but then again the good old days cannot be forgotten and can never come back. Thanks to the sisters and the teaches specially Mrs. Carvallo.Recommend

• Mar 22, 2011 - 9:36AM

Congrats to them.

It is unfortunate, however, that common Pakistanis who are not associated with this institution but wish to see it nevertheless are not allowed inside. Same goes for all other Churches. Perhaps security concern is an answer. Recommend

• Charlene (Lucas) Almeida
    Mar 22, 2011 - 9:39AM

Firstly Congratulations to St. Joseph’s Convent School on achieving this remarkable milestone!! I am extremely proud of my school and to be a Josephian, thank you Neha for this beautiful article on one of the best Convent schools in Karachi!! This article not only took me down memory lane with the best reminiscence but bought tears to my eyes whilst reading, it taught me about life, values & respect! It gave me lifetime friends who are still very close and teachers who not only added to our intellect but teachers with a heart! I love My 10th Grade Teacher Ms. Asma, Maam will never forget you! She was the only Teacher who came to condole me when I lost my parents! These are the people who not create a relationship but a lifetime memory. Recommend

• Humaira Affan
    Mar 22, 2011 - 10:04AM

This is the moment to be proud of. St Joseph’s has always been called our second home. The joy it brings to be associated with this historical institute is just indescribable. Every time some ones takes the name of my school, my eyes twinkle with joy and fond memories. I give it full credit for the way it polished me and taught everything from right to wrong. The structure in itself is an example of building strong foundations for itself and the students. The whole school building is bursting with culture and values taught by experienced teachers. I will always pray for my school and everyone associated with it for many more joyous years to come. Thank you ST Joseph’s Convent School for giving me so much. Recommend

• Noor ul ain Abbasey
    Mar 22, 2011 - 10:18AM

So many amazing memories!It was wonderful seeing all the teachers again. Espec. Ms.Siddiqui..she’s still there..wow!! and Sr Margaret too! and all the others! And yes.Feast Day to all of us did mean Free Chips and Coke :)!!Thank you for this lovely article!Wishing St.Joseph’s all the best for the next many many many years!!! Proud to be a Josephian!Recommend

• Ambreen Aleem
    Mar 22, 2011 - 11:53AM

I am so proud to be a Josephian……Long live St.Joseph’s Convent!!!Recommend

• Mahreen
    Mar 22, 2011 - 12:26PM

Neha .. Thanks for making us feel nostalgic again! At some point of time, I do miss the years I spent at SJC .. the most memorable ones being spent in the English Language classes by Ms Fikree ..
    Happy 150th Birthday SJC .. May the years ahead make SJC more successful .. God bless all the teachers who have given their worthy commitment to keep the standards uplifted!
    We’ll always have a special thought for our dear Convent home! :)Recommend

• Mahine
    Mar 22, 2011 - 2:59PM

i spent 9 AWFUL years at St. Joseph’s school. In class 3 (lillies) there was a special row where only the “dumb” kids sat. Amazing reassurance for a developing childs self esteem. Till date the best decision I have ever made was to switch schools and move to Bayview. Recommend

• Shehla
    Mar 22, 2011 - 4:18PM

Mubarak Ho SJC….You have shaped so many lives and so many careers and put forth into the world, thinking, feeling and caring human beings. Hats off to the Sisters and the Teachers.
    You make us all so proud! Thank you!!!Recommend

• Zehra Zaidi Naqvi
    Mar 22, 2011 - 4:37PM

@Cassandra:
    Were you known as Cassandra Pinto during school days? I had one who was my friend.Recommend

• Nilofer (Andrade) Fernandes
    Mar 22, 2011 - 7:03PM

Congratulations SJC, I attended SJC from 1968-1978. My Mom Zena Andrade was the Math Teacher for Grade 8 (Roses) from 1950 to 1982 when we left for Canada. We have fond memories of many teachers and students. Remembering Mrs. Lobo the music teacher who taught most of us to sing and dance to a tune, we looked forward to it. Ms. Jehan our Urdu teacher who was strict but loved us all. Ms. Soares who gave us 5 minute tests daily which helped us achieve an “A” in the finals. Ms. Kazi, Mrs. D’Silva (Grade 5), Mrs. Maura Fernandes (Grade 1), all the cambridge teachers (Fikri’s) and of course all the Nuns (Sr. Ceceila Francis my piano teacher who always called me “Puttu” whatever that meant). Sr. Francis Mary who made us attend Gym no matter how sick we were.

Those were the fun days and we will always remember them.Recommend

• azra zaidi
    Mar 22, 2011 - 7:32PM

My sister Sabiha and I were there at the centenary!! ‘Locusts over Sind’ choreographed by
    Mr and Mrs Ghansham, was an unforgettable experience!! and there were the brown copy covers with the front elevation of the school printed, alongwith the years.. and the hot chana chatwith raw onion served on banana leaves (later replaced by small plastic bowls) and a bottle of Canada Dry for 30 paisas. The good old days.
    I remember Sr Longina, Sr Franzina and Sr Marie Dilecta and the teachers during 1962-64
    Azra ZaidiRecommend

• Sarah Khurram
    Mar 22, 2011 - 8:34PM

Congratulation to all! WOW it feels so blessed to be a part of this ceremony. I can still remember the que in front of the canteen to get our part of the chips and frooto juice on every feast day. In these 150 years our dear convent home has produced the finest and the best women and i am so proud to be one of them.

I wish my school is able to see many many more years of success. Whatever i am today is only because of SJC. Hats off to all my teachers at SJC you mean alot to me.

Forward God Helping! Recommend

• Mahum M. Ahmed
    Mar 22, 2011 - 8:51PM

This wonderful article really transported me back in time. I’m very proud to be a Josephian For the school, its like time has stood still — once you are inside the gates you are in a different world altogether. St. Joseph’s stands for dignity, values, morals and principles. St. Joseph’s has given me so much !! …it has given me the realization of the true meaning of life…has made me aware of the world, shaped my values and ideas, guided me in setting my priorities right and given me the confidence I needed to stand up on my feet and face the world. My school, my amazing teachers and all the Sisters will be my mentors for life. My loyalty to SJC. is absolute!! I am the person I am today because of my years at SJC. I owe my convent home a lot !! I feel a unique sense of identity, of belonging whenever i am within it’s walls. Happy Birthday my wonderful St. Joseph’s Convent — God Bless !!Recommend

• samia azmi
    Mar 22, 2011 - 10:06PM

..always have a special thought for our dear convent homeRecommend

• Sharon Fernandes (nee Pinto)
    Mar 22, 2011 - 10:09PM

I finished grade 10 in 1980.

If I close my eyes even today, I can still hear all the typical sounds of the birds chirping outside our classroom windows, the students in the hallways in walking single file and the quiet whispers in classroom warning each other that Terror (Sister Zenia Pinto) is coming or Sister Teresa Rose!
    I still love that the classrooms were named after flowers. The milk toffees at the Vello’s canteen were unique. And the Potatoe Bajia with the sauce from Abdullah’s canteen.

We take pride in the way we speak. St.Joseph taught us not only the academics but also how to be cultured and refined. The standard of education was second to none. Thank you Sister Zenia Pinto and all the teachers through the years for all your dedication and hard work! To Mrs. Khan and Mrs. Razi for the Christmas concerts we used to have, where Muslim/Christian didn’t matter we were all one..

Let us all cherish this priceless institution that has molded the lives of so many women and made them into independent thinkers, professionals and amazing mothers. I am proud to be “A JOSEPHINE!”Recommend

• Yolande Vaz
    Mar 22, 2011 - 10:12PM

Congratulations, this brings back lots of memories. I am proud being a student of St Joseph’s Convent School during the 60’s and early 70’s. Thanks to all the nuns and teachers, many who are not with us anymore, who contributed to our education and made us what we are today. It is especially wonderful to see pictures of Ms Siddiqui and Ms Soares who are still attached to the school and so dedicated. All the best for many more years to come.Recommend

• Crystal
    Mar 22, 2011 - 10:16PM

Wow – a hundred and fifty years!!! … that’s definitely worth being proud of! Congratulations to all the students – past and present – and ALL the teachers who have played their part in the history of this school. As an ex-student and ex-teacher, it is nice to be reminded of the good times (and I agree with some of you that mention the not-so-good times) but regardless, that’s what made us what we are … and for that I am forever grateful to have been part of this institution.Recommend

• Sheila Mehta Coyle
    Mar 22, 2011 - 11:31PM

I enjoyed my schooling and also being a teacher for the second graders. Estatic to remember the good old daysRecommend

• alina anis
    Mar 22, 2011 - 11:53PM

i have been a josephian mysself…n i cant express what this gr8 institution ws to me n will always be…those 10yrs remind me of every tiniest joy of my life..i still remember my entrance test for class 1 in this school n how excited my parents were to put me into it…n now i bein a mother can only wish for that coz i dun live in khi ny more..i cherish all my memories even now…abdullah ki canteen,,mrs vellows ki canteen…being in the council….our grand sports days…our most honourable n sweet teachers n sisters….hats off to all of u..uve given each of us our identity..our ownership..our confidence..n whatever we r now..n wherever weve reached ..thats all bcoz of u st.joseph.s..THANX….MAY U KEEP GLOWIN ALWAYS!!!!Recommend

• zarnish khan
    Mar 23, 2011 - 12:29AM

Proud to be a St. Josephian! =)Recommend

• Zehra Zaidi Naqvi
    Mar 23, 2011 - 1:09AM

@Sheila Mehta Coyle:

Ms. Mehta I was in your 2nd grade class! I simply adored you and sometimes drove you crazy! You have left such a lasting impression on me. Mrs.Gonzales was the elementary school principal then. I did my matric in 1976. So it must have been 1968?
    God Bless you and always keep you happy! Recommend

• Veruschka Daroga
    Mar 23, 2011 - 1:26AM

Thank you to Neha Ansari and The Tribune for this article.
    Happy 150th St. Joseph’s! Here’s to the next 150!
    However it would be remiss of me to not appreciate the true foundation of this great institution. Thank you to the convent and the nuns who have kept this institution going all these years, BUT most of all my thanks to the teachers – to my teachers – who are a true testament to their profession. Thank you for the education you provided me.Recommend

• Rahema
    Mar 23, 2011 - 1:43AM

Felt so nostalgic reading the article and going through the pictures. Proud to be part of the history of St. Joseph’s … amazing teachers who made us who we are today… we don’t get that kind of dedication from teachers nowadays… Can’t forget Sr. Zenia and her amazing memory. How she remembered the names of each and every student baffles me to this day, and Frances, the beloved gatekeeper… Long live St. Joseph’s… Recommend

• Attiyah Khan (aka Attiyah Qadir Zaidi)
    Mar 23, 2011 - 1:44AM

St.Joseph’s Convent ~ Where BEST meet the BEST ! Being an ex-student I feel very privliged to have studied from this prestigious school. Like the term.’Old is Gold’ … SJC is a rare gem of a school and those priviliged to have studied from here know what I mean. Spent my life’s best time with some amazing friends & top-notched teachers. There’s alot of truth in our school song, the melody & lyrics of which still rings in my mind like yesterday (it has been 17 yrs now!!!) and I can’t forget it!!!!
    “Here we are taught the golden lessons,
    how to sift out right from wrong,
    how to bear our trials bravely and
    to keep our goals insight and
    When in life’s stream & on times of highway roam
    WE’LL ALWAYS HAVE A SPECIAL PLACE FOR OUR DEAR CONVENT HOME !!!

God Bless this school. God Bless the teachers/staff. God Bless Pakistan !

~ Attiyah ~ (Batch of 1994 / Arts)Recommend

• Lisa D'Souza
    Mar 23, 2011 - 2:23AM

Congratulations to all associated with St. Joseph’s past & present. Neha good job on the article, it sure does bring back memories of the days spent at school…..what wonderful memories to cherish. Thank you to the Sisters and all the wonderful and dedicated teachers past and present. Proud to be a Josephian. May the school continue to grow and every blessing to all. Hip Hip HorrayRecommend

• Nona D'Souza
    Mar 23, 2011 - 3:36AM

Hip Hip Hooray St Joseph’s Convent! Thanks for giving me my best schooling years! The staffroom accommodated the finest teachers, making the students proud of being a part of this academic institution! Congratulations on achieving 150 years of excellence! Here’s to many, many, many more!!!Recommend

• Steiner Desouza
    Mar 23, 2011 - 5:03AM

This article brought back memories from the time I was at school and we celebrated the 125th anniversary, God bless our school, our Alma Mater. I have taken the theme Forward God Helping throughout my personal and professional career. It has given me the confidence to stand tall anywhere in the world with the help of Almight God and the teaching received from St. Joseph’s. The school really has sustained in the changing times and grows to enrich the students with the values and essence of being confident adults. Thank you to all my teachers and the school. Great article may Almighty God bless the school to continue for the next 150 years to come. (student from class of 1993 Metric Section)Recommend

• Rosemary Pinto
    Mar 23, 2011 - 7:52AM

wonderful memories, great times had and unforgettable teachers! Our enthusiastic sports nuns Sr. Cecilia Francis and Francis Mary who made our PT classes memorable and most enjoyable! Of course, St. Joseph’s feast day celebration, the free coke and chips??? Our sports day! could go on and on The one that set us straight was the “clapping down the corridor” silencing us immediately. Sr. Zinia, we are what we are today successful at what we do because of you. Thanks to all our great classmates as well! Cheers! to many more years.Recommend

• Perpetual Fernandes ne Dalgado
    Mar 23, 2011 - 8:57AM

Hello and many congratulations to My wonderful School, on this auspicious occassion.. I feel proud and honoured to have been part of this school back in 1976-82. Many thanks to all the teachers, who’s hands we passed through – they taught us a world of knowledge and dignity and most of all respect for humanity one and all. I have many fond and cherised memories of my years in this school which I hold dear. Me and my friends of the same year, often go back memory lane and talk about all our lovely and treasued days at school.

To all my Old Class Teaches Mrs. Lewis (now in Calgary), Mrs. Carvalho, Mrs. Almedia (now in Calgary), Mrs. Dean, Our Urdu Teacher Mrs. Riaz and Mrs. Siddiqui, Mrs D’Souza some of the few I can remember, not to forget our then Principle Sr. Theresa Rose.

If I ever come on a holiday, I will undoubly visit this wonderful school to see how much has changed since the 1980’s.

I am forever grateful to have been a part of this schoolRecommend

• Beryl (Pecus) De Souza
    Mar 23, 2011 - 10:03AM

Congratulations to the Principal, teachers and students of SJC on 150 yrs – so proud and honoured to be a Josephian. I have fond, nostalgic menories of my days from kindergarten to grade 12 senior cambridge (from art teacher Miss Bocaro, music teacher Sr. Regina, Mrs. Rapose to the wonderful teaching of Mrs. Knobbs, Ms. Tilati, Mrs. Joyce Rodricks, Sr. Longina (Principal) to Velloza tuck shop, etc. – numerous excellent teachers and fellow students. I was honoured to have authored an article in the School Magazine – (BTW, does anyone still have a copy of this magazine dating back some 50+ years to 1959/60 or 61?)!!! God bless all of you – continue the fine tradition for years to come. Great fantastic school.Recommend

• Beryl (Pecus) De Souza
    Mar 23, 2011 - 10:06AM

Congratulations to the Principal, teachers and students of SJC on 150 yrs – so proud and honoured to be a Josephian. I have fond, nostalgic menories of my days from kindergarten to grade 12 senior cambridge (from art teacher Miss Bocaro, music teacher Sr. Regina, Mrs. Rapose to the wonderful teaching of Mrs. Knobbs, Ms. Tilati, Mrs. Joyce Rodricks, Sr. Longina (Principal) to Velloza tuck shop, etc. – numerous excellent teachers and fellow students. I was honoured to have authored an article in the School Magazine – (BTW, does anyone still have a copy of this magazine dating back some 50+ years to 1959/60 or 61?)!! God bless all of you – continue the fine tradition for years to come. Great fantastic school.Recommend

• Angeline
    Mar 23, 2011 - 3:00PM

Congratulations St. Joseph’s Convent on your 150 years. Proud to have been one of your students. Thank you to Sr. Zinia and to all the teachers who taught me. I am a better person for the excellent education I received. Recommend

• Angeline Vaz
    Mar 23, 2011 - 3:06PM

Congratulations St. Joseph’s Convent on your 150 years. Proud to have been one of your students. Thank you to Sr. Zinia and to all the teachers who taught me. I am a better person for the excellent education I received. All the very best for the future and I am sure future generations of students will also benefit from your high standards and quality teaching.Recommend

• Arsalaan Haleem
    Mar 23, 2011 - 7:58PM

A former Patrician, I was in school when it turned 150 in 1989. Although it was only my forth year at St. Pats, but that landmark created in me a sense of belonging to institution knowing that countless boys, and then men walked the corridors and grounds of that school. And with that thought in mine I salute all Josephines, past and present, on this auspicious occasion and I hope and pray that these fine institutions may continue serving the citizens of Pakistan for centuries to come…ameen.

And, did I mentioned that girls of St. Josephs are some of the most beautiful and smartest of all of school girls in Karachi..no offense to other schools ;)Recommend

• Philomena Cordeiro
    Mar 23, 2011 - 11:27PM

Congratulations to all those who still teach at St JOSEPHS Convent.
    I am very proud to be a part of this school. I still remember my old school song. Honour and glory to our school,throughout the years to come.
    . I remember every Teachers name who taught me.I am glad to know that Eileen
    Soares and Sr Terryzinia are still there.God bless you both. Recommend

• owais swati
    Mar 23, 2011 - 11:50PM

the convent scholls have indeed come a great way and have been a foundation for many other convents set in pakistan. a salute to all these school who have played a vital role in educating pakistani youth at a fee that is quiet affordable if compared to pakistani set school who charge high fee to children and use education to earn money but the convents have indeed played a part in pakistani society. thankyou to thoose who worked to help children in pakistan :)Recommend

• Ayesha Amjad
    Mar 24, 2011 - 12:02AM

Miss my friends and my teachers who taught me best =(Recommend

• Sophie Pereira
    Mar 24, 2011 - 2:01AM

Congratulations to the Sisters and Staff of St Joseph’s on their 150th Anniversary.
    I feel proud to have been a student, a member of the staff and to have had my
    daughters educated at this illustrous institution. Wishing St Joseph’s much success
    for the next 150 years.Recommend

• Helen (Fernandes) Francis
    Mar 24, 2011 - 3:32AM

Congratulations and best wishes on 150 years of dedicated service to education. I have many fond memories of my time at St.Joseph’s Convent both as a student and as a teacher. Thank you and God Bless. Recommend

• Mar 24, 2011 - 3:55AM

I am proud to be one the St Josephine.I also remember all the teachers and time spent their.Love to be in touch nwith my old classmates.Recommend

• lubna raza
    Mar 24, 2011 - 8:03AM

Congrats to all the teachers and mates on the Feast day.It’s proud to be Josephine.May our school flourish for many more years to come AMEN.Recommend

• M
    Mar 24, 2011 - 10:13AM

Although my college became a dearer alma mater to me than my school, St. Joseph’s Convent, it was at the beloved SJC where I began thinking critically and reading avidly. To date, all my closest friends in Karachi or rather from Karachi are former Josephines…a bond that never breaks. Congratulations to my sweet alma mater on her 150th birthday!

My little advice to current students: Take the motto seriously (forward God helping), and bear your education and mind as a privilege, which comes with responsibilities. Don’t take it as some mark of being above or better than anyone. That is not the point of a mind open to ideas and goodness. Live in humility and use your education towards goodness, towards promoting equality. :) Its a blessing to have the privilege of being educated at such a wonderful institution…bear in mind always that many lovely, smart, and wonderful young people are denied even education in Karachi merely because of the accident of their birth!Recommend

• Christine Assumption [nee Mendonca]
    Mar 24, 2011 - 11:39AM

@Beryl (Pecus) De Souza:

Hello Beryl,

I was going through all the letters received from former students of St Joseph’s Convent and feeling so nostalgic. Then, lo and behold, I saw your letter and was absolutely delighted to see mention of my sister, Joyce Rodrigues. Joyce taught at St Joseph’s for years and I think her main subjects were English and French. Sad to say, Joyce passed away in 1986.

I studied at St Joseph’s [Sister Longina was the Headmistress] from 1952 until 1956 when I did my Senior Cambridge. My family and I left Karachi in 1978 to work in Saudi Arabia for 4 years and then migrated to Perth in Western Australia.

I was a close friend of your sister, Barbara, and used to visit your home often. I remember clearly where you lived, above Joan D’Souza and her dad and brothers and sisters.

Kind regards to you and your family, and a special ‘hello’ to Barbara.

Christine AssumptionRecommend

• nasha
    Mar 24, 2011 - 3:20PM

nobody cn become a st josephian u cn only be a josephianRecommend

• jacqueline
    Mar 24, 2011 - 3:47PM

Reading the article took me down memory land filled with nostalgic memories of St Joseph High School. To see the pictures of Ms Aileen Soares, Ms Siddique and Ms Faiza Kazi was heart warming.Each of you have shaped us into what we have become today. A big thank you and GodBless!

Jakie Dias( nee Soares)
    Senior Cambridge Class of ’81Recommend

• Kathleen(Kitty) Peterson (now Geiger)
    Mar 24, 2011 - 11:40PM

It seems like 100 years ago that I had the immense pleasure and privilege to be a student at St Joseph’s! At the ripe old age of 74 it just as well might be!! I am still very grateful for the excellent education I got there thanks to the wonderful nuns and other teachers. Miss Sheila Cardoza and MissPecus were my favourites! They were always so dedicated to imparting their knowledge to us in a coherent and gently firm manner – never breaking one’s spirit or denying one’s opinion about anything. Yes, I will always be grateful to this very special school for the fine principles, morals and first class education I received so very long ago. I often think about my old pals – Mehru Mirza, the Imam girls, Siddiqui sisters and so many others. We shared some very good times indeed! Congratulations on our excellent school’s 150th year. Kitty PetersonRecommend

• Muna Kazi Pathan
    Mar 25, 2011 - 12:41AM

@Rock’s CuZ:
    We did not make fun of them. this article has misrepresented the facts. we were just saying that everyone fits into st. joseph’s . the play was about a girl who goes to two or three dfferent schools in the city and does not like any of them and then finally someone suggest she goes to st. joseph’s and she fits in very well. A truth anyoneo who has been to our school knows as we have girls from all backgrounds and and religions. We even have an afternoon shift for street children. The humour came from the names we gave to these school and in some cases we only mentioned the names and never even said anthing about the school. I feel sad that Neha who is an ex student and who we welcomed that day so happily into our school has misrepresented some of what really happened. Recommend

• Muna Kazi Pathan
    Mar 25, 2011 - 12:56AM

@Sophie Pereira:
    Dear Mrs Pereira,

It’s me, Muna Kazi. Melanie and I were friends and did our O levels together and then we were in KGS too. I would love to be in touch with her and all of you.

love to all the family. I remember Naila too. Recommend

• Muna Kazi Pathan
    Mar 25, 2011 - 1:05AM

@Veruschka Daroga:

Are you Anouscka’s sister? She was in school with me bbut junior and we took tuitions from Ms. Soares together. say hi to her and tell her iI think of her often.
    Muna KaziRecommend

• murassa sanaullah
    Mar 25, 2011 - 12:41PM

cingratulations to St. Joseph’s on 150 birthday, we are all proud to be Josephine no matter where we are We love St. Joseph’s .,.Recommend

• Ahad Siddiqui
    Mar 25, 2011 - 12:54PM

Consider the schooling system and standard of the education in Pakistan,
    Mashallah you people are very lucky to be a part of St.Joesph’s School. :-)

I really wish to have studied in such a school. :-/Recommend

• Tazeen Kazi
    Mar 25, 2011 - 8:04PM

This article brought back so many memories of the ten most wonderful years of my life. Cant believe its been sixteen years that I left SJC just seems like yesterday. I am extremely proud to be a Josephian and part of the SJC cult. Congratulations to the Sisters of the Cross for running such a wonderful institution so successfully. Recommend

• Rima Farooq
    Mar 26, 2011 - 12:45AM

SJC really helped form a lot of my opinions. Snr Ms Fikree will always be the person who made the most impact on my life, after my parents. I loved doing ‘Animal Farm’ with her in classs XI. Too bad I never got a chance to meet her again after I left school and moved abroad. Recommend

• Tania D'Souza
    Mar 26, 2011 - 7:23AM

lovely article! a trip down memory lane indeed! Congrats to all the Josephians!Recommend

• jacqueline
    Mar 26, 2011 - 11:36AM

Happy Birthday! it was great to see the pictures of our the teachers , Ms Siddique, Ms Faiza Kazi and Ms Soares each of whom have shaped our lives and moulded us into what we have become today. God bless Sister of St Joseph and the teachers.Hopefull i will be around to see the 200th birthday though i may be in my rocking chair.
    Cheers to All
    Jacquelin Maria Dias ( nee Soares) , Karachi, PakistanClass of 81 Senior CambridgeRecommend

• chidoc
    Mar 26, 2011 - 7:19PM

Proud to have been a part of St Josephs Convent. One can meet the St. Josephines just about every place on earth . The bonds of friendship remain for ever . The discipline and values we were taught have remained and been an asset for life. Thanks ! Recommend

• Yasmine Jamil
    Mar 26, 2011 - 9:11PM

Congratulations on 150 years! I am so proud of having studied at St Josephs, from kindergarten to college. thank you for many wonderful years and for the teachers so many of whom have left indelible traces of their enthusiasms and values on my life more than 60 years later as fresh as ever.
    To all the nuns who were such a part of my childhood thanks.Recommend

• Kathleen(Kitty) Peterson (now Geiger)
    Mar 27, 2011 - 4:51AM

Was a student at St Joseph’s in 1948 untl I was 15 years old – and will never forget what a privilege and joy it was! The nuns and other tachers were just wonderful and I especially loved Ms. Sheila Cardoza and Ms. Bertha Pecus. I will always be grateful to my convent school education for shaping the adult I became and giving me the confidence and intelligence to cope with life in general. Congratulations on our school’s 150th anniversary and may it continue to mould smart, strong women for the future.Recommend

• somia
    Mar 27, 2011 - 9:34AM

i am so proud to be a josephian! hats off to all the teachers students and administration for such an amzaing schoolRecommend

• rabia tabassum
    Mar 27, 2011 - 3:04PM

thanks for this great article. it made me all nostalgic. proud to be Josephian.Recommend

• Barbara Lewis, CPP
    Mar 28, 2011 - 9:33AM

It is with great pride and joy that I would like to wish each and everyone at St. Joseph’s a hearty Congratulations!!!! Here’s to many many more wonderful years. I recognized my teachers, Ms. Kazi, Ms. Soares and many others, and of course my favourite Principal Sr. Zinia – God Bless you all.

Thank you for all those memorable and fabulous “foundation years”!

Viva St. Joseph’s….

BarbRecommend

• Barbara Lewis, CPP
    Mar 29, 2011 - 5:37AM

I was Barbara “Rocha” whilst at St. Joeph’s Convent High School (Grad 1980), and not too sure if any of my teachers remember me, but I had topped the HSC and brought in the “gold” for St. Joseph’s College. Kudos to all my teachers (Ms. Kazi – thank you for your tips on staying smart and “taking care of our looks” – and thanks to my math teacher, Ms. Soares whose virtuosity in the subject helped inculcate in me the aptitude and ability to “apply” basic math to spreadsheets and complicated analyses here in North America. My love for education, and God’s blessings, enabled me to continue studies here in Canada (University of Calgary) and as well attain a Professional Designation i my chosen career.

I am truly grateful to all of you – “Honor and glory to our school, throughout the years to come….”

Barb Lewis
    (married to Vernon Lewis – son of Mrs. Chrstie Lewis – ex-teacher at St. Joseph’s 7th grade)Recommend

• Irene Lobo nee miranda
    Mar 29, 2011 - 11:09AM

To
    Aileen Soares and the present Principal of St. Joseph’s Convent High School

Hearty Congratulations on St Joseph’s completion of 150 years.
    I completed my SSC from St. Joseph’s School in 1967 and HSC in 1969 from St. Joseph’s College. I have fond memories of my dear school.
    Sr. Zenia Pinto was my Principal at that time. She was a regal,and religious person to the core always infusing a value based advice to her students.
    I remember I had Sr. Dolores Anne as my middle school Principal. She was a warm soul who reached out to the needy and the underpriviledged.

My Mathematics teacher Aileen Soares was my mentor ..how can I Thank You Aileen …..I have come a long way since then. A wizard at Mathematics …and a wondeful human being
    Aileen was ingenious, industrious and innovative. I remember writing my mathematics paper at the Board examination in 1967 within an hours time and getting a cool 100% marks.
    And this was due to the excellent teaching of Miss Aileen Soares.

I am sure I would like to write more about my dear beloved school.

Good luck and with prayers

Mrs. Irene LoboRecommend

• jacqueline
    Mar 29, 2011 - 2:59PM

Happy Birthday ST.Joseph Convent School – Reading the article was indeed a trip down memory lane. It was wonderful to see Ms Siddique, Ms.Soares ( I will always remember her favourite phrase LOOK,LOOK and SEE NOTHING), and Ms Faiza. Each of you have been instrumental in my life especially Ms Faiza. I have to come down one day to SJC and personally thank you Ms Faiza. If you are reading this please add your email address.

The ethos of St Josephs aspires me each day as I am educator & administrator myself after these 30 years. God Bless all the Sisters of St Josephs for their visionary leadership and educational guidance.

Barbara Rocha ( are you the same one from Kashmir House) Class of 80.

Jacqueline Dias (nee Soares)
    Karachi ,Pakistan
    Senior Cambridge Class of 81Recommend

• Barbara Lewis, CPP
    Mar 30, 2011 - 9:46AM

@jacqueline:
    Hi Jacqueline;
    Yes, that would be me. So nice to see notes from old friends. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Vanessa Lobo, Shamsa Kurban, Desiree Fernandes, Zeldine Fernandes and my dear friend from Senior Cambridge, Geeta Bugtani? I would love to see pictures of all my friends from way back when – those were truly our glory days! We worked hard and played hard – and hopefully still do…
    BarbRecommend

• Shumaila Aslam
    Apr 1, 2011 - 5:06PM

thanks for the beautiful pics and the article, it took me five years back. Wished we were still Josephians……….. my best wishes to all the staff n specially my mother, sister Julie

@Sarah … sorry to say baby u r so unlucky to have no sweet memories of this school…. it was heaven on earth………..

well love u St. Joseph n i wish when God gives me a daughter i will send her to this school, so that she could also have the best education like me.Recommend

• Nabila Arif ( Ahmed)
    Apr 3, 2011 - 1:15PM

It was wonderful to read this and see all the beautiful pictures. This brought back lovely memories, and we got to see most of our teachers:) All of us owe plenty to SJC, who we are today has a lot to do with the outstanding nurturing we got from this outstanding institution and its teachers!! Thank you all!Recommend

• Apr 4, 2011 - 4:08PM

Long Live SJC.. Proud to be a Josephian :) <3Recommend

• Apr 4, 2011 - 4:10PM

Proud to be a Josephian <3… This is the best school On planet earth Recommend

• stpatricksclassof1967
    Apr 5, 2011 - 12:45AM

The article about St.Josephs is brilliant way of getting back in touch with your school mates. With the help of the internet and other social media you can recover the great memories and friendships you created when in school.
    We at St.Patrick’s High School did just that we graduated “O” levels in 1967 which seems like a long time but we have successfully managed to get in touch with most of our fellow students by creating this website:
    [http://sites.google.com/site/stpatricksclassof1967/welcome][1]
    and because of it long lost friendships have re-ignited and the joy of celebrating old memories and sharing new ones has been pivotal in spite of us being spread all over the globe.
    So feel free to view our site and if you chose start one of your own and bring back the memories and get back in touch with friends and teachers you all have lost touch with and hope to keep the conversation alive.Recommend

• Firoozeh Mogal
    Apr 5, 2011 - 10:10AM

Hi Ms. Kazi,

Just wanted to let you know that Veruschka and Anushka are not sisters. They are infact cousins. Both their fathers are brothers. Veruschka and family are now settled in Canada since many years and Anushka a few years back also migrated to Canada.

regards,
    Firoozeh Mogal
    Ex-JosephianRecommend

• piyara school
    Apr 5, 2011 - 3:44PM

St Joesph convent , where we got our confidence discipline and pride studying for 10 years. WOW was in school when we celebrated the 125th birthday with Sis Zenia and other. This year its 150th birthday . Now when we pass by so proud of telling our kids this is the place where we were built, as a good student , a good entrepreneur , a mother, and a home maker. All which was taught by our respected teachers of primary and secondary section. Wishing the best for giving it all to the coming generation. God bless St Joesph Convent School. Proud St J. :)Recommend

• Joan Bornshin
    Apr 9, 2011 - 3:30PM

Congratulations……….

All I have to say reading the comments that there will always be “Black sheeps” and “Dog in the Manger” type of people around. The article, however, doesn’t seem to have been written in good taste, sarcasim at every point, very sad, nevertheless, thankyou for bringing the 150 years of this instituion in the news. Overall it goes without a doubt that St. Joseph’s Convent is an Ideal School for girls. None to compare with. HATS OFF!

The teachers here are an institutions themselves. God Bless them all.

My x-boss would prefer employing girls who have had their early education from St. Joseph’s. So cheers and best wishes for the years to come.Recommend

• Apr 13, 2011 - 6:28PM

Nilofar Mashadi emailed me and I being the husband of Shahnaz and brother-in-law of
    Peechoo (amryam andc Lubna Rabbani and father of Hanah Iqbal Mirza feel proud to
    to say what a lovely education systm St. Joseph had and still have.

The educaion and the atmpsphere of scholl have made tyhe difference as school has produced so many dignified such as The THREE RABBANI SISTERS AND MY DAUGHTER HANAH, who did her O level from St. Joseph.( It must be mentiond that Mrs. Saroor Akbar ad Mrs. Saheen Bengali had been a great help to her) and the A lervel from Lycium, BBA from IBA and then passed her Msc in Marketing and Managment with distinction from University of Kent U.K.(Hanah now is teaching O and A lel students in a school in Defence )-prersonalities and many others who have been and are the asset of not only of St. joseph but of whole Pakistan.

Many Happy Returns to St. Joseph on the 150Th Birth Day.

Iqbal Miza a proud husband of Shahnaz and a Proud father of HanahRecommend

• Apr 15, 2011 - 2:20PM

I am so very proud of being a Josephian! Love my school and all the values it has instilled in me and many others like me. School days were the memorable!Recommend

• Mary Joyce Mendes
    Apr 18, 2011 - 6:57AM

I am proud to have been a student and a teacher as well from the 1950 – 1973.
    Congratulations on 150th anniversary. My mum was also a student at St.Josephs
    in 1920.
    Regard to Sister Terezinha and all the Daughters of the Cross.Recommend

• Flory Fernandes
    Apr 20, 2011 - 12:02PM

It was good to read the above comments about SJC.

I began my schooling years as a 2nd grader at St Joseph’s, having been home schooled prior to that. That was in 1964. Sr. Theresa Rose along with the then Principal Mrs. Gonsalves played a major role in making this happen. Back in those days the kids were raised with tough love, both at home and at school. There was no other better way. We challenged each others in the class room and out in the field. What gloriously innocent days those were. My favorite memories are the cholay that the kitchen sister whipped up every day…………….yum, the Art Class run by the Art Sister (can’t remember her name) and trying to sneak into the Convent Garden. (the Sisters never permitted that). I graduated High School in 1972. Eight years altogether from start to finsh.

My high school years were the best. I can’t believe Ms. Soares is still teaching. It was so good to see her picture. She is truly a very gifted teacher. Being our Math teacher was her calling in life. Because of her, Math was no longer intimidating, and as such did very well in High School, Pre-Med (in St. Joseph’s College), Sind Medical College and finally here in the US as a Physician. It’s amazing how useful Math can be in the field of Medicine.

I would like to thank all of you who dedicated your lives in creating a unique academic atmosphere free from drugs, violence and bullying for me as I was growing up and shaping me into this very special person I am very proud to be.

Keep up the good work Sisters. Special thanks from the bottom of my heart to Ms. Soares.Recommend

• Maharukh Bhiladwala
    Apr 21, 2011 - 1:34PM

I was on stage for the centenary celebrations in 1962, reciting a poem especially written for the occasion by the then English teacher, Mrs. Rodrigues, and look forward to being part of the 150th celebrations! More power to SJC!Recommend

• Kathleen(Kitty) Peterson (now Geiger)
    Apr 24, 2011 - 1:06AM

GREAT School! Great Teachers and Great Students!!! All the ingredients for making a truly memorable and worthwhile experience. Long Live St. Joseph’s!!!Recommend

• Saman Shadab
    Apr 26, 2011 - 6:37PM

I am fortunate to be part of this institution, that has instilled a good value system in me. My mum has also taught here for over 15 years. Thanks for the article, but it didn’t really cover the sheer magnitude of the impact it has had on so many generations.

Things have changed, overall. The black-eyed peas, and usher is in. With that, I feel sad, that the school isn’t keeping up with the changing times. Children will sing/ dance/ play/ act. And there isn’t any training opportunity the school is providing to the girls for the same. Instead of black eyed peas dance sequence for a Feast Day there could have been a school band performance/ a classical dance performance/ a good play.

Pencils & transparent pencil cases?? I was lucky to witness the 125 years here at school. There were ceramic cups printed with ‘Forward God Helping”, school copies/ cover, stationery/ booklets/ and even a commemorative postal stamp.

I, and a lot of others like myself, want more from my school, because I believe that IT CAN deliver. How long can this or any other institution rest on its laurals? It is time – it is time to set a target for 175 years on what all it should achieve next. Good Luck St. Joseph’s! My daughter too is (waiting) in line!Recommend

• Farwah
    May 3, 2011 - 11:54PM

Congrats St.Joseph’s. Lovely reading this article which bought my memories back. 10 important years of my life which I spent in this school. School that gave me amazing teachers, friends and much more. Miss old days and miss my school. Proud to be a Josephain. Wishing St.Joseph all the best!!!! Recommend

More in Sindh