Karan Johar asks Kangana to leave Bollywood if it's that bad

Published: March 6, 2017
PHOTO: THE INDIAN EXPRESS

PHOTO: THE INDIAN EXPRESS

Kangana Ranaut’s first appearance on Koffee With Karan stirred quite a lot of controversy.

The Fashion actor’s bold and daring statements from the show sparked reactions from Sonam, Alia and Karan himself.

Just when everyone thought it was over, Karan finally revealed what he truly thinks of the Queen star – and her remarks regarding nepotism and him.

“If ever my biopic is made, you’ll be the stereotypical Bollywood biggie who is snooty and completely intolerant to outsiders. Flag-bearer of nepotism. The movie mafia,” Kangana said on the show.

According to Spotboye, Karan finally opened up about Kangana’s remark, which B-Town took in bad taste.

Kangana Ranaut mocks Bollywood actors moving to Hollywood

During a session with Anupama Chopra at London School of Economics, the Ae Dil Hai Mushkil director opened up about nepotism.

“She was my guest and I had to hear what she had to say. When she says ‘Flag-bearer of Nepotism’, I want to say to her, I am glad she knows what it means.”

He went on to say that he has not promoted any of his family members in the industry, but instead introduced 13 directors who had no ties with Bollywood.

He further said “I am done with Kangana playing the woman and the victim card. You cannot play a victim every time with some sad story to tell. If the industry is that bad, just leave it.”

Watch the video here:

Previously, during a live chat session on Twitter, someone asked Karan, “Was Kangana correct about nepotism?” To which Karan replied, “Not entirely! She made an impact with her sweeping statements! That was fun… for her! And the show.”

Soon after Karan, Alia and Sonam also responded to Kangana’s nepotism remark.

Sharing a cottage with Shahid was a nightmare: Kangana Ranaut

The Udta Punjab star said, “I believe Kangana said that in a very different context and she was only speaking from her own perspective. I don’t think she was attacking somebody. I feel I have given my views on nepotism, a lot of times that I have now got bored of talking about it.” reports Business Standard.

Now, the Khoobsurat star in a recent event, responded to Kangana’s remark, saying, “I don’t even know what Kangana said. I am travelling these days. What has she said? She keeps saying things all the time. She’s very entertaining, I love Kangana. I look forward to her interviews.”

We wonder what the Tanu Weds Manu has to say about this.

Have something to add in the story? Share it in the comments below.

• BrainBro
    Mar 6, 2017 - 1:47PM

Kangana, who?Recommend

• Bunny Rabbit
    Mar 6, 2017 - 1:49PM

Kangana has over stayed her welcome in bollywood . time for her to leave now . Recommend

• I am a Khan
    Mar 6, 2017 - 4:47PM

Kangana is absolutely right…Bollywood was once great when heroes and heroines came from the masses..Dilip Kumar, Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Shatrugun Sinha, Hema Malini, Rekha, Zeenat Aman, Shah Rukh Khan, Amrish Puri, Prem Chopra, Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Madhuri, Juhi Chawla…were all outsiders and not star sons or daughters. They had real talent, had lived the common man’s life and knew how to represent the common man/woman in cinema/ movie roles.

But since bollywood started taking in sons and daughters of stars, its quality started falling, as people born with a silver spoon in their mouths can never be good actors..they have no idea of the reality of life and hence cannot act out a character that relates to the masses or the common man. If bollywood does not recruit fresh heros and heroines from the public who are real talented, it is going to flop completely and people will switch to television and abandon movies…Recommend

• [email protected]
    Mar 6, 2017 - 9:37PM

Why is he telling her to leave? Who made him the gatekeeper to the film industry? It’s unfair to ask artists who want to work but point out legitimate challenges that they should leave if the challenges bother them. Typical establishment mentality! Recommend

• gp65
    Mar 6, 2017 - 10:48PM

@I am a Khan: Aishwarya, Vidya, KAtrina, Priyanka, Deepika, Kangana, Parineeti, Anushka, Jackelyn, Asin, Shah Rukh, Akshay, John Abraham, Ranveer, Siddharth Malhotra are not star sons or daughters.

At the same time RInke Khanna and Esha Deol with impeccable star backgrounds failed to make a dent.Recommend

• wb
    Mar 7, 2017 - 9:13AM

@gp65:

‘Aishwarya, Vidya, KAtrina, Priyanka, Deepika, Kangana, Parineeti, Anushka, Jackelyn, Asin, Shah Rukh, Akshay, John Abraham, Ranveer, Siddharth Malhotra.”

Maybe so. But all these idiots put together do not have one tength of courage or honesty or talent as Kangana.

If you think that nepotism is the only curse of Indian film industry, let me enlighten you by adding elitism. All these come under that. They’re not actors because they have an iota of talent, but they’re there because they were miss this or mr. that or somebody’s cousin or nephew. With the exception of Shah Rukh who is a mystery to me, given how bad an actor he is.
    Indian film industry, in all languages are destroyed by nepotism, elitism and racism.Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Gossip