Mrs Pakistan World: Forever young

Published: March 14, 2011
A mother of three teenagers gets crowned Mrs Pakistan World at age 41. PHOTOS: PUBLICITY

LAHORE:

For most women in their forties, body image is a touchy subject at best, a personal nightmare at worst — but not for this 41-year-old mother of three. Meet Nyla Hasan, who was crowned ‘Mrs Pakistan World’ on January 31 2011.

A Canadian-based Pakistani, Hasan is an inspiration for women in Canada, in fact, for women everywhere. Speaking to The Express Tribune, Hasan shares her experience: “It feels fabulous. It is an honour for me to represent my country at a global level. Being a mom of teenage kids, I could never have imagined winning a beauty pageant! Most women give up on life once their kids are older. I grew up feeling and believing I was ugly, in fact I remember students at school and university in Karachi, teasing me because I looked different. So, winning the pageant was amazing, I was truly honoured”.

Speaking about the reaction of her children, she said, “I had not told them I was participating. They thought I was joking when I told them I had won the pageant. My teenage daughters are thrilled for me as they look towards me as a role model; my son — the eldest, was equally proud. I felt a lot of respect from them and other family members and friends.  One day I would expect my daughters to be Miss Pakistan World, InshaAllah”.

Born in Chittagong, Hasan moved to Karachi with her parents, graduated with an honors degree from University of Karachi and then shifted to Canada 10 years ago. She’s certified as an image consultant in Canada and runs an image consultancy firm in Toronto.

“The best fitness tip I can give women is to be positive. Besides, being forty plus is the best age if you ask me. Women are more mature and confident. Since the children are older, we can finally focus on ourselves without feeling selfish!”

When asked about her favourite Pakistani stars Nyla replied, “I adore Atif Aslam and Shaan equally.  What I love most about Atif is that unlike most people he is not shy in stating that he is a work in progress, constantly evolving. Shaan, of course, has kept Lollywood alive. His role in Khudha Kay Liye was phenomenal”.

Almost every beauty queen to-date has had some level of silver-screen ambition, when asked who would be in her Lollywood dream team, Hasan said: “I would love to introduce meaningful movies to the Pakistani community, while keeping them fun and entertaining. The ideal team would include Shaan, Atif Aslam, Iman Ali, Nadeem, Atiqa Odho and a strong director like Shoaib Mansoor. These are the best Pakistan has produced and it will be amazing to see all these wonderful actors work together”.

Given that she would want her daughters to follow her footsteps, the only thing left to ask was whether contests like ‘Mrs Pakistan World’ had any hope of ever being held in Pakistan? Her enthusiastic response: “Absolutely! Participation of the general public should be supported and encouraged. It should be held in Karachi where it can draw an audience of thousands. My dream would be to see Pakistan nominated as the country with the most beautiful woman, as truly we have the most beauty in the world”.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 15th, 2011.

• Mar 14, 2011 - 10:10PM

She is Awesome Cute Recommend

• Ahsan Masood
    Mar 14, 2011 - 10:27PM

“One day I would expect my daughters to be Miss Pakistan World, InshaAllah” what noble cause..! Recommend

• sadia
    Mar 14, 2011 - 10:29PM

poor woman, now shell be targeted by TTPRecommend

• R. Khan
    Mar 14, 2011 - 10:31PM

Women like you make us proud! Recommend

• Grace
    Mar 14, 2011 - 10:33PM

She doesn’t look typically Pakistani; Is that the reason she was chosen for her more exotic eastern looks? Recommend

• CB Guy
    Mar 14, 2011 - 11:20PM

why are all this contests taking place in Canada? Participants are Canadians not Pakistanis so the name be default is wrong. Recommend

• javed jan
    Mar 15, 2011 - 12:37AM

she is stel looking so hot.Recommend

• sundar
    Mar 15, 2011 - 2:31AM

Congratulations Mrs. Hasan, good for you. Wish you well and hope you will go on to fulfil your dreams. Recommend

• mk
    Mar 15, 2011 - 2:39AM

wow, 41, good going!Recommend

• Kaka
    Mar 15, 2011 - 3:56AM

Isn’t she from Puerto Rico actually? Just wondering.Recommend

• Khurram
    Mar 15, 2011 - 4:05AM

“A Canadian-based Pakistani, Hasan is an inspiration for women in Canada”.
    Before she inspires anybody she needs to sort out her identity as to who she really is whether a Pakistani or Canadian. We people from South Asia are shamelessly ungrateful. Ms Hasan; it is Canada you preferd over Pakistan to call your home because it not only guaranteed you a good life but also ensured your and your family’s future. I am quite sure you did not wait a day past three years to apply for Canadian Citizenship and Passport because it would up open many more venues for you than our least respected Green Passport. I would have no problem had you were crowned as Mrs World of Canadian-Pakistani origin or had you moved back to Karachi for good. Only people with temporary work assignements are called “Canadian based” or UK based and so on you are a citizen of this country and it is incumbent upon you respect the land you call home. But as I said in the beginning we are shameless people and for selfish reasons we bite the hand that feeds us.Recommend

• Shuja
    Mar 15, 2011 - 4:32AM

I wish u cud earn smth Islamic to shine the PakRecommend

• Shamir
    Mar 15, 2011 - 4:46AM

lol! Makeup ki dukaanRecommend

• bvindh
    Mar 15, 2011 - 7:29AM

I bet atleast 80% of people in Pakistan would be better looking than her!Recommend

• Tariq Ahmad
    Mar 15, 2011 - 7:50AM

Is she half blackRecommend

• Billoo Bhaya
    Mar 15, 2011 - 7:53AM

Well done!!! Now tell us the secret of how you have managed to stay so trim and prim. Tell that to the ladies in Pakistan who graduate at each child’s birth from a pistol to a rifle to a cannon. Some even without a child progress to the cannon stage with no input from their husbands. Recommend

• Haris Farooq
    Mar 15, 2011 - 9:11AM

Good initiativeRecommend

• Jeddy
    Mar 15, 2011 - 10:53AM

I’ve become her fanRecommend

• Raj
    Mar 15, 2011 - 11:12AM

By the rich, for the rich, of the rich Pakistanis…Recommend

• Raj
    Mar 15, 2011 - 11:18AM

@Tariq Ahmad… she is Pakistan’s daughter from East Pakistan now called Bangla Desh. Just like Dr Aafia Sidiqui and Aisa Bibi she is our Pakistan’s daughter.Recommend

• A.ghaffar dawood
    Mar 15, 2011 - 11:19AM

it is commendable to win the the contest at age of forty one and being a mother of three children.I congratulate her.Recommend

• Arsalaan
    Mar 15, 2011 - 11:41AM

Having had known this person for my entire life, I am truly pleased at this outbreak of her talent. Being my sister, I would like to take this chance to tell her that I myself have always admired her AND her better half for everything they are. Being far more than I can express in words my sister has always been a star in essence. This i’m sure comes from the most amazing people who have brought her up and Allah almighty.

Ranging from the tightest of budgets to the elite of designers she knows exactly what will bring out the best in you. She’s one of the very rare personalities who will take you to a character changing escapade simply by her presence.

Well done ‘Baji’ we are truly very proud of you. Hoping to you soon in Pakistan and rocking it to the core.Recommend

• Amanat ali
    Mar 15, 2011 - 11:44AM

looking mix-breed. so hotRecommend

• Rafique Shaikh
    Mar 15, 2011 - 12:02PM

Who authorised you to represente Pakistan.Recommend

• Realist
    Mar 15, 2011 - 12:25PM

Hot? Beautiful? Cute? From what perspective? She is quite bland looking.Recommend

• Hmmm
    Mar 15, 2011 - 12:43PM

Matter of pride? For what? Call me from the ‘ghairat’ brigade but such things do nothing to make a nation proud.Recommend

• AD
    Mar 15, 2011 - 12:51PM

Don’t fall into these Mrs & Miss traps.These are marketing gimmicks of corporate house.Recommend

• Shahzad S. Janjua
    Mar 15, 2011 - 1:04PM

The one thing that surprise me but on the contrary didn’t that as a Nation we have lost our culture and moral values, the reason for which our ancestors has fought to get the independence, “THE TWO NATION THEORY” has been carefully, tactfully and strategically been wiped out.

All the efforts that our mothers and sisters has paid in terms of losing their honor and respect by giving up blood and their dignity for this beautiful homeland has gone.

By being proud in such fashion, and more so for adoring such and alike event. Be in Pakistan or abroad.

It’s not just what make her proud or the many alike because of her charm, but the mindset, that is the worrying part for we make ourselves proud, showing our daughters previously, but now we are not content with it and we are now even more proud in publishing to the whole wide world, and come and see how beautiful looking our mothers can be.

I wish we can focus on the mindset not the means it, to make some real change in the society.

Our mothers, daughters and sister paid a very big price in order to have this land, please atleast think for a moment or so, would you be in that position at that time, would you be proud enough to do it at that time. So that you can convince many others of your gender to move to a land of peace, dignity and freedom. But I guess the word freedom will be a huge debatable word, so I will remove word “Freedom”. Since we want to have freedom by showing ourselves but we don’t want that when we show that how beautiful we are, people don’t stare at us or pass comments on it.

It would be like putting sweet all open and don’t want any bee around it. Just think about it!!!! Recommend

• rehman
    Mar 15, 2011 - 1:57PM

she is very koji!!!these westerners havent seen real pakistani beauties we see every dayRecommend

• BB
    Mar 15, 2011 - 2:05PM

OMG are ugly people like these the criteria to win beauty peagent???? why every top model and actress in pak is considered beautiful look at Fayezah ansari, Tooba and Iraj such uglyyyy faces yuck yuck. Looking at these women my self esteem is raised a million times that I am not like them in any way.thanks God!Recommend

• asma
    Mar 16, 2011 - 4:25AM

Well, first of all @ BB, sorry to see how ugly you really are from the inside. But hey what to do, thats how ugly your parents raised you. Secondly, for u to name women like Tooba, Iraj etc is funny, as you know very well how these women have come to the top and by doing what. hahah!

But nice to see that your self esteem has risen, as no matter how much you wash yourself with soap and water, your ugliness from the inside will always remain!!!Recommend

• Jeddy
    Mar 16, 2011 - 12:25PM

The rich and powerful always set the trendsRecommend

• Sheraz Chaudry
    Mar 16, 2011 - 1:20PM

Was this competition held in ZooRecommend

• Omar K.
    Mar 16, 2011 - 5:42PM

She looks good for 41. Good show Mrs. Pakistan.Recommend

• Salman
    Mar 16, 2011 - 6:22PM

Sorry but she is not pretty. Judges must be drunk :)Recommend

• daood rana
    Mar 18, 2011 - 3:02AM

Why so late she exposed her stunning beauty. she is like a shooing srar which blaze at the end of its active life.She is sending wrong signals to my neurology.Alas! only after 9 shorts years she will be 50 years old MOM.Recommend

• adil
    Mar 18, 2011 - 6:30AM

She doesnt look 41,… she looks like she is 33 or maybe even 30….!!!! I think she is pretty bengali beauty of Pakistan!!!! great skin!!!Recommend

• Mathew
    Mar 18, 2011 - 10:06PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She looks young for her age and she looks very Bengali or Indian but not native Pakistani. Unfortunately, beauty pagents are falling out of favour all over the world because they are seen as being sexist and bad for women’s rights. As the mother of girls, I wonder why she would encourage her daughter to celebrate looks over substance?Recommend

• Bee
    Mar 20, 2011 - 11:06AM

What is wrong with all you people??? Can’t you appreciate beauty without having it to be chitta gorra??? She is a beautiful Pakistani girl. Be proud of her.

@ Grace, many Pakistani women look like her. The modern Pakistani woman is a mixture of the East and West.

For the rest of you, in a beauty pageant women are chosen for several features. Brains, body and beauty.

I think it’s fabulous that instead of a twenty something bimbo, a 41 year old who has a career and kids is Miss Pakistan. We have broken the beauty myth.Recommend

• Billoo Bhaya
    Mar 21, 2011 - 6:35AM

@javed jan:
    I agree with you. She makes me stand up just thinking about her. Judges must have felt the same way when voting.Recommend

• Tulki Shahzada
    Mar 22, 2011 - 1:02PM

Excessive makeup is injurious to health, physiological and psychological. Recommend

More in Gossip