Man loses seven teeth after e-cigarette explodes in his face

Vape shattered into pieces in his mouth, knocking out his teeth and burning his face and neck

News Desk January 18, 2017

An American man lost seven teeth and was left with second degree burns to his cheek after his electronic cigarette exploded in his face.

“Yesterday morning I was getting ready for work when I had something happen to me that I didn't expect. I vape (I know, terrible and uncool) but I no longer do and I hope to possibly sway those that do to maybe re-evaluate or find other methods of smoking,” he said.

Children with absent parent ‘more likely to start smoking, drinking before teen years’

[fbpost link=""]

“I've been doing this for about a year now and assure you I did not do anything I wasn't supposed to (battery was in right, always had the shop put it together when I first bought it and add things and maintenance it the right way while taking their advice) but it exploded in my face.”

“I've lost at least seven teeth, have second degree burns to my face and neck and have been pulling chunks of plastic, teeth and foreign objects from mouth, throat and lips,” he wrote on Facebook. The 30-year-old car salesman shared photographs of his injuries from the intensive care unit of a hospital to warn other people of the dangers of smoking  electronic cigarettes.

Govt asked to increase size of pictorial warning on cigarette packs


His vape shattered into pieces in his mouth, knocking out his teeth and burning his face and neck along with smoke marks to the wall of his bathroom, where he was at the time.

[fbpost link=""]

When some people accused him of faking the incident and exaggerating the damage, he posted photos of his broken sink and wall. “The torch marks are on the wall and roof are continuations from my face. Also the explosion downward broke my sink,” the caption read.

US watchdog warns Samsung washing machine owners after explosion reports




Although it is not clear which model Hall was smoking, he said he had it put together by staff at the vape store where he bought it. Batteries are widely considered to be the cause of vape pen explosions.

This is not the first time a vaporiser has exploded. In November, Otis Gooding, an employee at a New York City wine store, was standing at a shop’s counter when the e-cigarette exploded burning his leg, thigh and hand. Security footage from the store showed Gooding jumping as he attempted to get the device out of his pocket. The ill-starred smoker was later admitted to the Weill Cornell Medical Center burn unit where he is expected to undergo surgery.

A similar incident occurred earlier last year when an e-cigarette exploded in a man’s face in New York causing serious injuries. In another incident, nightclub owner’s vaporizer exploded while he was standing outside, leaving him with second degree burns.

This article originally appeared on Daily Mail.


Azeem Tahir Khan | 4 years ago | Reply Never use your note 7 battery for vape.
Hashim | 4 years ago | Reply This is a result of using a sub standard cheap device. These things run on the same battery as ur phone, laptop, etc and are perfectly safe. Fact is that e-cigs are helping a lot of people quit smoking. People need to be educated and should be made aware not to use cheap devices as they are not safe and lack the basic fail safe mechanism that prevents the device from drawing more power than they are designed for which leads to exploding batteries.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read