Ainak Wala Jinn's Bil Batori found begging on streets

Published: January 6, 2017

LAHORE: If you grew up in the ‘90s, then you grew up watching Ainak Wala Jinn, a comedy serial that taught an entire generation how to dream. Boasting quirky characters like Charlie Mamu, Zakoota and the wise old Nastur Jinn, the show provided the ideal respite from the pressures of school and homework.

Amongst its memorable characters was Bil Batori, played by none other than the very talented Nusrat Ara. Although Batori was a negative character, Nusrat’s way of rendering her signature line ‘Bil Batori Nasa Chauri Adhi Mithi Adhi Kauri’ made us both laugh and cry at the same time.

Unfortunately, her stardom faded away as quickly as Ainak Wala Jinn’s viewership grew up. The actor, now 65, is struggling to make ends meet in a small rental home in Lahore’s Samanabad locality.

Ainak Wala Jin comes to life in Bahawalpur

Originally a resident of Karachi, Nusrat relocated to Lahore about 30 years ago, hoping to further her acting career. Life took a turn for the worse once Ainak Wala Jinn ended, forcing her into unemployment and poverty. Decades later, Nusrat is still struggling. To make matters worse, she has developed depression and related mental disorders over the course of time.

Sad and dejected at how destiny took an ugly turn, Nusrat sits in a dingy room and narrates the story of her life.  “I am ashamed of myself. I never thought my life would come to a point where I would have to beg for a morsel of food,” Nusrat tells The Express Tribune. “When I moved to Lahore, I didn’t think I would have to beg for my life. I have given my youth to the people of Pakistan, made them laugh while barely getting by myself. But who was there to help me? Who came to wipe my tears?”

Nusrat’s life hit rock bottom about three years ago when she was left with no choice but head to the shrine of Data Ali Hajveri for food and money. The actor had been begging there since, until she was brought to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital after collapsing out of exhaustion a couple of days ago.

“For the last three years, I have been completely dependent upon the shrine for food. I have done my best to fight against fate and am proud to say that I have never sought help from anyone but myself. But now, I have grown old and tired,” says Nusrat. “Right now, I am not even in a position to move my body, let alone pay the Rs10,000 rent due at the end of the month. I want to die in peace and request the prime minister to appreciate my efforts and provide me with medical help at least.”

She feels it’s cruel how the government has failed to take notice of her struggle over the last 25 years. “Is it not cruel that after four decade of serving the Pakistani entertainment industry, I don’t have a roof over my head and the government is not even bothered about that?” she asks.

‘Ainak Wala Jin’ star establishes charity to support troubled artists

“I am a proud Pakistani and don’t want to complain. But it’s about time that the government reflects upon how it’s looking after its artists and learns from what is happening around the world.”

The Ainak Wala Jin star attributes her financial struggles to the simplicity of the entertainment industry back in the day. “We were just focused on our work; we never paid much attention to finances or fame. While Ainak Wala Jinn was being aired, I was in a position to do something to secure my future but it never crossed my mind that I would eventually have to struggle this much,” she recalls.

“Other actors like Babu Baral and Mastana passed away in worse conditions. I suppose it was just my destiny that things turned out this way.”

Published in The Express Tribune, January 6th, 2017.

• Erudite
    Jan 6, 2017 - 10:13AM

Sad my childhood memory!Recommend

• ahmad
    Jan 6, 2017 - 10:35AM

no matter how much criticism one pelts at the government, one cannot deny the fact that government has helped most struggling actors (etc majid khan, zakoota) with good amounts from time to time. Recommend

• ToThePoint
    Jan 6, 2017 - 11:01AM

This is very sad and I do wish I could help. But the best thing that they can do is set up an actor’s guild where it should be made mandatory for actors to deposit money for pension schemes. In this way, the future of actors can be secured and the industry itself can develop further by ensuring a solid life for its members.Recommend

• Mujtaba
    Jan 6, 2017 - 11:28AM

How can we help? I want to help her.. please create a FB page or bank A/C number so we could all deposit a small donation.Recommend

• Ali
    Jan 6, 2017 - 11:39AM

I wouldn’t blame govt.. l’d rather ask these SUPER SUPER STARS including Atiqa Odho, Bushra Ansari, Atif Aslam, Shahzad Roy, Fawad Khan, Mahira and an infinite list of those who live in heaven on earth. They don’t own their people then why would govt.. Recommend

• Talha
    Jan 6, 2017 - 1:01PM

@Ali:
    excellent remarks, talking in the media by these famous actors are different as compared to the reality. let them understand to think about others as well. Recommend

• xherax
    Jan 6, 2017 - 1:06PM

@ahmad:
    which government helped indian govt or american ? till now pakistani govt is helping themselves in panama facepalmRecommend

• Proud to be Muslim
    Jan 6, 2017 - 1:24PM

From the sad story, my question is, where is her family? Children / grandchildren may be?Recommend

• Bunny Rabbit
    Jan 6, 2017 - 2:42PM

Boy am I glad I am not in show biz …Recommend

• Khan
    Jan 6, 2017 - 3:49PM

Unfortunately she was acting in state owned television dramas which funded by the government through the tax payers in a country only 1% of its people pay their income tax. Lets face it the truth is we have evolved in to morally corrupt greedy society, where everyone cater only for themselves .. no one is paying any income tax, we democratically elect our leaders who’re dictators in all their shape and forms. Our rich businessmen keep earning for generations while keep filling their greedy pockets instead of expanding and providing livelihood to others.
    Please have some guilt and for a start pay your taxes, only a rich government can help pay big wages and transform the country.Recommend

• Muahammad Shabbir Hassan
    Jan 6, 2017 - 4:31PM

Assalaamu Alaikum
    Brother its not data ali hajvery, its only ali hajvery. data can not be used for this. kindly confirm and amendRecommend

• Ch. Allah Daad
    Jan 6, 2017 - 4:50PM

Very sad state of affairs. However it’s a good sign that few of us come forward to help. Sharifs have helped so many poor writers, artists, sportsmen and women and actors in past and hope they will do the same to this poor lady. Recommend

• Mudassir
    Jan 6, 2017 - 5:56PM

@Muahammad Shabbir Hassan:

So you think this is the real issue here? Great!

@Ali:
    I was thinking exactly the same. The people you are talking about have the greatest responsibility, even more than the government to help their peers and seniors. But alas they are just heartless and greedy money-making machines who only think about themselves. And unfortunately, we call these self-centered people “stars”.Recommend

• tuk
    Jan 7, 2017 - 5:42AM

Why does she not get pension? Why can’t we have social programs like in the West. We must give all our elders respectable life. Recommend

• Arshad Hussain
    Jan 7, 2017 - 11:34AM

Now people will Know. Why Chai Wala “Arshad” left this industry and at least earn to respectable living.Recommend

• Sami CHOUDHARY
    Jan 7, 2017 - 7:59PM

Is it possible to help her? I was big fan of hers growing up Recommend

• Mohammad Kashif
    Jan 8, 2017 - 8:08AM

Created a Page for her https://web.facebook.com/Nusrat-Ara-Bil-Batori-169649603516301/

Will try to locate her and update the details on page.Recommend

• AKB
    Jan 8, 2017 - 3:22PM

there is a face behind a every case……….so its govt and as well as industry……Recommend

• Danial
    Feb 5, 2017 - 6:53AM

Can i have her contact ??Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.