'Vindicated' Trump still wants to ban Muslims, establish 'registry'

Trump made the comments following the Berlin Christmas market attack


News Desk December 23, 2016
Trump plans to reintroduce Muslim registry. PHOTO: Reuters

United States President-elect Donald Trump has reiterated his pledge to establish a Muslim ''registry" and ban Muslims from entering America.

Trump reiterated his plans for overseas and US Muslims following this week's Berlin Christmas market attack.

US government cancels 9/11-era registry for foreigners

"You know my plans all along and I’ve been proven to be right," he told reporters at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

"100 per cent correct. What’s happening is disgraceful," Trump said.

Speaking in the wake of the Berlin Christmas market attack and the assassination of the Russian ambassador in Turkey, he said, "It’s an attack on humanity and it’s got to be stopped,"

However, the Obama administration just made it harder for Trump to introduce such a program. The US government is cancelling an inactive registry program for visitors from countries where extremist groups are operating, a plan similar to the Muslim registry being considered by Trump.

The Department of Homeland Security is formally ending the National Security Entry-Exit Registration Systems programme (NSEERS), by removing outdated regulations, Spokesman Neema Hakim said on Thursday. The rule change will be published in the Federal Register on Friday and takes effect immediately.

Trump after Berlin, Turkey attacks: 'I've been proven to be right'

The announcement came as a growing number of prominent tech companies including Facebook, Twitter and Apple have told various news organisations that they would not help the Trump administration build a Muslim registry.

Earlier this month, employees at dozens of technology companies also signed an online pledge vowing not to help Trump build a data registry to track people based on their religion or assist in mass deportations. The petition has been signed by over 2,500 employees.

This article originally appeared on The Independent.

COMMENTS (1)

Raj - USA | 5 years ago | Reply Many were expecting Trump would not follow through on his pre-election statements. However, so far, he has not backed out on any. He promised tough line with China and is going in that direction too. He has appointed Peter Navarro, a bitter critique of China as his advisor on industrial policy, spoke with PM of Taiwan and has said that US is not bound by one China policy. There is a speculation now that Trump may invite Taiwan's PM on his Presidential inauguration ceremony. Trump has said that he may levy 45 duties on imports from China. For, China, this has come at the worst possible time because EU has also warned China that it may levy steep duties on imports from China.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read